Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if I need a software firewall like Zonealarm.

I have a server online Apache2Triad
I have Windows XP SP2 (All Up to date)
I am behind a wi-fi router with WPA-TKIP (No DMZ)
I have AVG-free (Antivirus)
I have Spybot S&D
I have Ad-aware 1.06
I use Firefox (I only use IE for pcpitstop.com )

So with the Windows FW and Router, Do I need a software FW?

If you need more info, just ask.

P.S. I forwarded port 80 on my router to me and opened it on my Windows FW so I can have my server online.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
It really depends on how careful you are where you go on-line. I've run without a software firewall for years, and I've yet to get an infection. I also very rarely just go "surfing" and click on links willy-nilly. I don't do P2P or IM either.

I do run an up to date AV scanner, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, and I regularly scan with AdAware.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had Zonealarm on other computers before, but it didn't seem to get anything. It got things all the time that I was told were only pings, but nothing besides that.

Just thought I'd ask since I have a server running.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Michelangelo said:
So with the Windows FW and Router, Do I need a software FW?
The Windows firewall IS a software firewall. You don't need to have two firewalls on the same machine. That would be redundant, resource intensive, and a conflict waiting to happen. The router should take care of the firewalling, but if you want to install a single firewall on your PC then you can.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If you're picking between ZoneAlarm and the Windows firewall, pick ZA. It gives you incoming and outgoing firewall protection, the Windows firewall is only an incoming firewall. If you have a router, you already have an incoming firewall, no need for another one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.