Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I need some help. I've just reformatted my 4 year-old PC and installed Windows XP Pro. I deleted the old partition so that I could have a completely "clean install," but with that action I'm afraid I've taken out all the drivers for everything that came with the computer.

PowerSpec put this thing together, so I went on their website and installed all the drivers I possibly could. Afterwards I installed a Linksys WiFi PCI adapter. Now this is the strange part. EVERYTHING works, EXCEPT for the ethernet "hard" connection. Why is this and how can I fix it?

The NIC is built into the motherboard, so I went on the motherboard's manufacturer's website and downloaded (what I think was) the right driver. Still no luck, the computer is acting as if the ethernet port doesn't even exist. I plug in the cable, nothing goes on inside or on screen, no processing no notifications no nothing. I scanned for new hardware, still nothing. Through ipconfig/all, the only thing that shows up is the WiFi card.

Does anybody have any advice on what I need to do in order to re-enable the ethernet port? This is seriously starting to get on my nerves as I've been trying to figure this out for over a day now. I know a thing or two about computers but obviously not enough to correctly diagnose this problem, so if anybody has any questions or needs me to do something in order to gain more insight into the problem, please ask.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Does the ethernet port show up in the Device Manager? What is the make and model number of the motherboard? Have you done anything in the BIOS?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the ethernet port show up in the Device Manager? What is the make and model number of the motherboard? Have you done anything in the BIOS?
No, the ethernet port isn't showing up in the Device Manager. The make and model of the motherboard is MSI MS-6533G-L System Board. I haven't done anything with the BIOS. I looked in there to see if I could see anything disabled with the LAN, but I couldn't find it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.