Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-heres the situation...i bought a new Ethernet card for my Compaq a while back ago, i installed it, Windows recognized the new Hardware, and like always, created a new Driver database for it and so it worked fine...now i rebooted my computer because it had a few viruses and it recognized the new hardware again, thats fine, but now when it comes to the point where it searches for a new driver for that device, it says "Windows cannot find a new driver for this device."

-can you guys tell me whats wrong with it, or what I should be doing different? is there any specific folder I should browse for?...please any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

-btw if it helps, i use Windows 98. thanks.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

If the card came with a disc/floppy insert it into the drive and point it to it.
I had a problem with a Linksys card awhile back, it worked fine until the system rebooted, then it wouldnt work, system would freeze on me. The card was fine it is now working good in a different computer. Sometimes some brands dont work well in certain systems...kinda weird. Try using the driver disc first, if it still happens try a different adapter card.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
geekgirl is right, ethernet cards can be tempermental, uninstall it from your device manager and try a different pci slot. reboot, and when windows sees it, try the driver disk again... good luck

G

·
If it did not come with a driver cd, you will have to pull the card and look for a model # or name of manufacturer. Go to their web site and DL the drivers, otherwise you will have to use the info on the NIC chip. go to driversguide.com you will have to create a FREE account.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.