Tech Support banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day up until 2 days ago my NUCS was able to connect via a cable to my NBN modem and if I went into internet/network setting there was an ethernet option now that option is no longer available and the only option to connect is via WiFi. I disconnected the cable from the NUCS and plugged the cable into a laptop and the ethernet option showed on the laptop. This told me that the problem was not with the cable or with the modem, I am running windows 10 pro I need help please what do I need to do to fix this problem? regards Billybro

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,463 Posts
Sounds like the NIC (network interface card) has been damaged, probably due to a surge of electricity through the Ethernet cable. It's happened to me before, and other than that the computer's motherboard is still running fine. Ended up having to plug in a new PCI network adapter card (by Intel) and it's been working great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the NIC (network interface card) has been damaged, probably due to a surge of electricity through the Ethernet cable. It's happened to me before, and other than that the computer's motherboard is still running fine. Ended up having to plug in a new PCI network adapter card (by Intel) and it's been working great.
Thank you I had a feeling that I might need to do that, I did do a search and found a big variance in prices from $30 to $600 I will need to get one that fits in the small NUCs box any suggestions?

·
8,463 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:confused: Probably doesn't even have a slot to plug one into does it?

You could use an external USB-to-Ethernet adapter like this one:

Yes it actually does have a slot for a ethernet cat6-cable which was working until about 4 days ago I have been looking at the usb option and I will try it before going into the expense of a new Ethernet card

·
8,463 Posts
With a motherboard of "4.0 inches by 4.0 inches" it is way too small to have any PCI/PCie bus slots in order to plug in an internal NIC (Network Interface Card) adapter. The case is also not near tall enough.

Page 16 of the following manual for your unit shows the board layout.

Intel.com > Intel® NUC Board NUC6CAYB
Technical Product Specification

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With a motherboard of "4.0 inches by 4.0 inches" it is way too small to have any PCI/PCie bus slots in order to plug in an internal NIC (Network Interface Card) adapter. The case is also not near tall enough.

Page 16 of the following manual for your unit shows the board layout.

Intel.com > Intel® NUC Board NUC6CAYB
Technical Product Specification
To be honest I am not sure what you are talking about I have been using an Ethernet connection between my modem and my NUCs since I bought it, the problem I am having has only occurred in the last week so please can you expand on your above comment so I can better understand what you are saying

1 - 12 of 12 Posts