Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I a computer where I am trying to put in a ethernet adaptor, and it looks to be in properly, but it isn't being recognized by the computer as a new hardware. I have a NX squared Nexxtech 10/100 Fast Ethernet Desktop Adaptor. The reason I bought this was because the network/motherboard would not recognize the internet connection.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400, Windows XP. Thanks!

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Do you see anything in Device Manager? Did you try a different slot? Do you see the NIC during the POST when the BIOS is setting up devices?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not see anything in device manager, and yes, I have tried a different slot. No luck. That last question I don't really understand.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
During the BIOS startup, the PCI bus devices are listed on the screen. The NIC should appear in that list if it's recognized by the BIOS. If not, we're looking at a hardware issue. Here's a typical POST display on one of my machines.

Attachments

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
That's the normal screen from an Award BIOS. I see you have a Dell, so I'm not at all sure what they display.

Does the motherboard NIC show up in Device Manager? Does it have any error codes?

What have you tried to get the networking working? What convinces you that it's the NIC that's failed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.