Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of "Essence Black 600W Power Supply"

I'm was about to buy a New Fractal Design R4 case but noticed that Ebuyer are doing it for about £15 more than my normal supplier + this power supply thrown in. Clearly rebranded, but I've searched for this model but can't find much... or anything on it other than references to the offer; certainly not a manufacturer or any specs.

I figure if its half decent, I'll get it, if only to use as a spare, but if its a cheapo low brow unit, I'll just go for the case alone.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok, that makes sense. I'll just give it a miss. The cases are great but...

·
Visiting Tech
1,472 Posts
FTR - I have bought many cases that had a PSU "tossed in" to make the sale where I immediately replaced the PSU with a 80 PLUS Certified PSU from a major maker. Some of the extra PSUs where off brand, or no-name generics, some, as come with some Antec cases, where good, but smaller Antec PSUs from their entry-level lines.

My point is, don't let an off-brand generic PSU stop you from buying a case you want if the price is still acceptable to you. You can always use this extra PSU as a troubleshooting spare, as you already suggested. And/or, and I recommend this, you can get a PSU Tester to connect to this spare PSU and then use the spare PSU to test fans and drive motors. I feel one of those testers is a good investment for home users who are interested in doing some of their own maintenance and upgrades anyway.

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,524 Posts
My recommendation is the same. Never use the PSU provided with a case, they are almost always very low quality.

Stick with XFX or Seasonic branded PSUs and ensure to get the correct amount of power as needed.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Same as above, PSU's included with cases are almost always lower quality.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
3rd'ed. Don't ever use that type power supply it's only a matter of time before you have issues. Stick exclusively with Seasonic and XFX for power supplies to ensure top quality and reliability for years to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.