Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble trying to install XP. I used two different hard drives and I keep getting errors! This is the error!

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated.

When I tried the other hard drive I get this error!

Disable bio's memory options such as caching or shadowing.

please help!:mad:

·
Premium Member
41,923 Posts
Re: Can't install windows XP

If this is a SATA HDD you need to go into the Bios and set the HDD type from AHCI to IDE or Compatibility mode. Or you need to slipstream your SATA drivers into your XP CD using nLite.

·
Administrator, TSF Manager
27,630 Posts
Hi Odey....welcome to TSF!!
I have merged your threads and deleted a duplicate post. Please keep this issue in a single thread for better assistance. Follow the advice given and report your progress or lack of progress.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On the machines at work (IBM/Lenovo) I have to change the SATAN setting from AHCI to compatibility to get XP to install OK etc. so give that a try and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked for the AHCI setting and it doesn't show on my BIO's its a little diffrerent. My hardrive is a western Digital SATA, and my mother board is an ASUS M3N72-D where would I go to make the setting?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I checked for the AHCI setting and it doesn't show on my BIO's its a little diffrerent. My hardrive is a western Digital SATA, and my mother board is an ASUS M3N72-D where would I go to make the setting?
Odey...You may wanna try punk.funk advised. Since you've mentioned that your HD is SATA thus I believe , you either use Nlite to insert your Sata driver into your Windows XP CD or have the SATA driver in your thumb drive and insert it when XP asked for additional driver when you install your XP.

·
Banned
91 Posts
What did you use to create the partition? I don't think this is a driver/BIOS issue, as you normally can't create a partition on a drive without it being recognized and accessed. I would delete any existing partitions using the setup disc and re-create whatever partitions are necessary, then try reformatting the newly-created partitions. Beyond that, I would boot to a Command Prompt and run CHKDSK /R. If both disks fail a CHKDSK, both disks are bad, which is always a possibility. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
That is not the typical error message caused by lack of a SATA driver . . did you run diagnostics on the drive?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.