Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working for three days on my daughter's HP 750N computer, restoring it after it was attacked by browser hijacker that did more than just that. System restore was disabled, so I had to use HPs system recovery feature to get her system back. Then, I got rid of all [hopefully all] of the malicious programs.

One of the remaining problems is that a program got corrupted, efax messenger plus. She does not use this program, but two error messages show up each start up. The first says "eFax Messenger Plus, An unexpected error occurred while reading \HsPfcW32.ini" and the second says something like "DLLCMD32.exe not found."

I'd like to just delete the program to get rid of the message, but it is bundled with Accessories in the ALL PROGRAMS listing from the start button, and is not listed on Add/Remove programs and I couldn't find it in the registry to delete it that way. I managed to remove it (at least its listing anyway) from the start up in the registry using Spy Bot Search and Destroy, but the error messages persist. They also persist if I simply right-click on the program in Windows Explorer to delete it that way. I have also used Add/Remove windows components to no avail.

Any help in resolving these error messages would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I have used Ad-Aware, Microsoft Antispyware, and Spybot Search and Destroy to get rid of all viruses, malware, adware, and spyware. Hopefully all, anyway. The problem persists.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, this is the first thing I did, but then each time the system starts I get a message about not starting up in normal config, so I traded one error message for another.

·
Registered
935 Posts
PNW,
Check the box "do not show..." when the dialog box appears at start up.
That gets rid of the dialog box but now you have a startup folder cluttered with unchecked junk. Although it doesn't seem to affect performance, I never liked the clutter that I couldn't remove, as well as being stuck in "Selective Startup".

I recently tried a small, free program that cleans out the junk and returns Startup to "Normal", it's called MSConfig Cleanup and it's great!

Regards,
JF
Vancouver, WA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.