Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I really need some help from you smart people out there :)

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional with an AMD 1800+ computer. It's been quite stable for a few months now, but now all of a sudden I started having problems shutting down/restarting my computer. Everything I try to restart, an error message pops up saying:
winlog.exe - DLL Initialization failed

The application failed to initialize because the Windows station is shutting down.
I don't know what's causing this, it just kind of happened out of nowhere. The problem is, it shows up everytime I try to restart, and everytime I click on the 'OK' button, the computer does not shut down, but continues to pop up the error message until I go insane and hit the reboot button on the tower. I've downloaded all the service packs and OS updates from Windows Update, I don't know what can be going on. It's a problem because when I install a program that requires a reboot, the programs do not install correctly. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

By the way, here are event logs of the errors:

System Log

Source: Application Popup
Event ID: 26
Description: Application popup: winlog.exe - DLL Initialization Failed : The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

Application Log - There are 3 processes here that I think are causing the error.

First one, winlog.exe is started:
Source: winlog
Event ID: 0
Description: The FireDaemon process was started.

Then, upon a reboot,
Event ID: 100
Description: The service failed to shutdown correctly due to subprocess being unable to be killed. Error code: 5.

Also,
Event ID: 107
Description: Subprocess monitoring failed due to subprocess is no longer active. The subprocess is probably dead. Restarting the process. Error code: 997.

Would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

Thanks for replying. I just downloaded SR-3 again and re-installed, but still having the same problem. I really don't want to resort to reformatting but at this rate I might have to. Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
johnwill,

Thanks for replying! I was suspecting the same thing. I just ran a virus scan of my entire system and found out that there was a virus called IRC.Flooder infecting the task32.dll file. (or task32.something) I looked up the virus on the McAffee website and it's listed as a harmless virus which is only used to prevent people flooding the chat rooms in IRC. However, I get the feeling that this virus (somehow) installed Firedaemon service into my computer. Does anyone know of a removal method for Firedaemon?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.