Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I really need some help from you smart people out there :)

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional with an AMD 1800+ computer. It's been quite stable for a few months now, but now all of a sudden I started having problems shutting down/restarting my computer. Everything I try to restart, an error message pops up saying:
winlog.exe - DLL Initialization failed

The application failed to initialize because the Windows station is shutting down.
I don't know what's causing this, it just kind of happened out of nowhere. The problem is, it shows up everytime I try to restart, and everytime I click on the 'OK' button, the computer does not shut down, but continues to pop up the error message until I go insane and hit the reboot button on the tower. I've downloaded all the service packs and OS updates from Windows Update, I don't know what can be going on. It's a problem because when I install a program that requires a reboot, the programs do not install correctly. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

By the way, here are event logs of the errors:

System Log

Source: Application Popup
Event ID: 26
Description: Application popup: winlog.exe - DLL Initialization Failed : The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

Application Log - There are 3 processes here that I think are causing the error.

First one, winlog.exe is started:
Source: winlog
Event ID: 0
Description: The FireDaemon process was started.

Then, upon a reboot,
Event ID: 100
Description: The service failed to shutdown correctly due to subprocess being unable to be killed. Error code: 5.

Also,
Event ID: 107
Description: Subprocess monitoring failed due to subprocess is no longer active. The subprocess is probably dead. Restarting the process. Error code: 997.

Would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, just re-apply whatever version of the service pack you have on the machine, might be a good idea to get SR-3. This should take care of any .DLL issues

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,

Thanks for replying. I just downloaded SR-3 again and re-installed, but still having the same problem. I really don't want to resort to reformatting but at this rate I might have to. Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I think this is the basic source of the problem:

"Description: The FireDaemon process was started. "

Here's a description of FireDaemon, it's not something that came with Windows, so unless you specifically installed it, I'd say it's probably not welcome! You need to find out what it's loading as a service and deal with that issue first. I suspect that will fix the login issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
johnwill,

Thanks for replying! I was suspecting the same thing. I just ran a virus scan of my entire system and found out that there was a virus called IRC.Flooder infecting the task32.dll file. (or task32.something) I looked up the virus on the McAffee website and it's listed as a harmless virus which is only used to prevent people flooding the chat rooms in IRC. However, I get the feeling that this virus (somehow) installed Firedaemon service into my computer. Does anyone know of a removal method for Firedaemon?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.