Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My PC is,
XPS 8930 Dell CPU Tower ( Win 10 Pro ) , HP 250GB SSD, as only and main primary drive.
Almost, Dell's latestPC, a tower computer with Win 10 PRO, w/ latest updates.
For past few days, at the boot and start up of computer, after the Dell Logo,
It blinks all 3 lights of keyboard, while playing music,…… and displays this error message. ( Pic 1 )
( hard drive is failing sort of message ), But,… After pressing “Continue”, all is normal.
HP 250GB SSD is used in PC for last 7+ months and no other problems at all.

While checking for chkdsk in DOS command and also sfc /scannow the results, all is showing OK

Dell’s support assist, which also scans for hardware, results are OK,……..

De-fragment and Optimization of Drive ( SSD ) commands shows all OK. Advanced system care and " Defragment" finds no error,...

SSD has 85GB used and has 146GB free in properties.

What are other ways to check for the failure of SSD drive?

What else it could be ? ( My PC is out of 1 year’s free Dell support warranty period )

Thx

==========

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
2000-0151 error indicates your hard disk drive (HDD) is failing and may be nearing the end of its life. It may fail in a few hours, days or a week or two. Please backup the data from the drive to another drive and replace the HDD.
If you can boot into Windows download HDTune in my signature, not Pro. go to the Error Scan tab. run a full Error Scan, not Quick. This will take a long time. If all of the boxes are Green then the drive is healthy. If any of the boxes are RED, those are Bad Sectors, there is no reason to finish the test, the drive needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Thanks for yr prompt reply, Sir. Now again, it's not coming ( error message ) for last 3-4 times, that I rebooted my PC.

But nonetheless, I backed up all importants.
The SSD is hardly 6+mos old, and had bought a brand new one.

In picture 1, if I scrolled down, the vertical bar, the
next line was, " There is no enough room in the hard drive" smthg like that. How come?

I guess, the support assist have also remained loads of bugs and errors that I know of, ( their certain diff. versions not compatible with yrs particular Dell Model ) perhaps that is/was creating this kind of false error messages.

I think, if I should receive the message again, I may delete the " support assist " and may/may not install brand new. Their incompatible versions in relation to all diff. Dell Models of computers have always remained a problem, in the past.

May be I am wrong. Yours HDtune I still have it ( last timen ) ,... since it takes time,.. I may scan with it over night, to check the surface of SSD

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,710 Posts
Hi, I note you mention "advanced system care" this is most likely your problem, this program is totally not suitable for use on a modern computer, you should uninstall it, unfortunately sometimes the damage done can only be repaired from a clean install.

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
I believe the OP is speaking of Dell Support Assist, which is part of Dell's bloatware they include, the third picture shown, not to be confused with IOBit Advanced System Care, which is Rubbish also.
Do you have a secondary HDD in addition to your SSD Boot drive? If so, the error message you are receiving is probably for your secondary or External Drive

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I do have ASC too, and many suggests to get rid of it,...( was told by many many ) but then ther's no other pkg which does that many functionality ( so many thgs been taken care of..... in one stroke ) and I am used to with ASC for long....

I tried hard ( for years ) to fall in love with malbyteware, CCleaner, AVG, Windows own malware inside,..( Super antispyware is ok to some extent, spybot s and D many says totally NO ) but their all''s area of control n' coverage is very limited...( computer's jamming and locking down situation happens at many normal website openings... ) ... Dunn'o why windows is not coming out that ( Defender is not that good ) strong that we still have to buy McAfee and such,...

btw, the error messages have stopped at the boot-up for now, for a while for unknown reasons,...
I do not have any secondary drive in PC,...

So far my guess is, " Dell's own support assist has many bugs from the beginning @ their Bios versions of updates ( By support Assist ) and SA's its own, new versions of updates v/s your Dell computer Model... and that conflict remains from the day i had bought the computer and they had to remove it ( SA ) and again install lower version of SA and such,... that happened many a times,.. )

So far,....I have backed up all important,... so let see,.. if problem arises again,...

---------

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
You say you have backed up your system, but you also say that you don't have any other drives other then the C: drive. Where are you backing up to?
It's your PC, so do with it as you will. Just letting you know that ASC is not necessary. All of the functions this app does are included in Windows already. The same for Anti-Virus, you do not need any 3rd party app like AVG, McAfee, etc Windows Security (Defender) does just as god a job and it's included in Windows and is free..
The other apps you mentioned, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Super Antispyware, etc, should not be set to run when Windows start, and should just be started when you want to scan. You also should only need ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes free versions, set to not start with Windows. These apps won't lock any web pages up because they are not running in the background.
Anyways, it's good you are not getting the error message any longer. Keep an eye on your SSD with HDTune there are other parts of the app that tell you more. it will keep you updated on it's health.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have 6 TB samsung external HDD drive.
( I meant, any other drives inside the computer.... I don't have,.. to conflict/interfere for the error, to occur.. . )

Only folders, documents and downloads,... I've backed up.
Not applications and Not all Programs,..

I have other 4-8 nos of other HDDs having windows 10 Pro and major running applications installed on it, for this same PC, ( outside the system ) and can insert those HDD, if this fails,... ( though, will have to update first of their windows, which may be 7-8+ months old,... )

I had Mcacaffe that came free for 1 year and upon expiration and/or removal I saw many pages errors of virus doing choke ups,.. jamming and choking for certain sites,...the system and page locked-up hard way,...problems started and that's how you know how poor Window's defender is,...!!

ASC has connection, internet,Network/Router efficiency, all browsers updates,.. and other such 3-4 ares of checking n' cleaning which others have not,.... Malwarebytes, I had on and off for last 12-15+ yrs in other PCs , but it finds only certain pop. kinda flies and nthg else,... its coverage of diff. variety, is very limited.... had removed it, 10s of times in past, after getting tired of it,..

I guess, mine is SA's problem,. and tonight will do HD tuning,.....of SSD drive...to be certain,...

Just a question.
If SSD fails, then there is no way like, that of with HDD, that you could still put it as secondary and still can grab any needed files, folders/documents,...( provided magnetic media is fine..... )

But, for SSD,....It's like a bad flash drive and it's almost all gone,... Right ?

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,444 Posts
I am at a loss as to why you think it prudent to do tuning of a ssd it is not required, nor is using any third party program like ASC it's more likely to cause a issue than resolve them but it's your system so your choice. However if you decide to ignore the advice given please do not come back when the inevitable happens asking how you can resolve the issue you have been advised by a very competent and respected tech and former staff member of this forum that it is not needed, if you believe you know better then you really do not require the help offered here, you have it covered.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
However if you decide to ignore the advice given please do not come back when the inevitable happens asking how you can resolve the issue you have been advised by a very competent and respected tech and former staff member of this forum that it is not needed, if you believe you know better then you really do not require the help offered here, you have it covered.
Seconded!! I do not ever understand why anyone turns to subject matter experts for help, stating at the outset that they don't know which is the best or even appropriate thing to do, only to ignore all advice that goes against their existing practices.

It's a waste of the time, consideration, and expertise of those advising.

If you, any you, already know better then please don't waste the time of others by asking for advice you know from the outset you will not take.

It's one thing if you pick and choose among conflicting advice, we all do, as is our right, but when you ignore expert consensus, well . . .

Reactions: Stancestans

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,336 Posts
I am at a loss as to why you think it prudent to do tuning of a ssd it is not required, nor is using any third-party program like ASC it's more likely to cause an issue than resolve them but it's your system so your choice. However, if you decide to ignore the advice given, please do not come back when the inevitable happens asking how you can resolve the issue you have been advised by a very competent and respected tech and former staff member of this forum that it is not needed, if you believe you know better then you really do not require the help offered here, you have it covered.
Seconded! @ OP, I am at a loss why you thought the lockups were Defender's doing, yet you had an expired 1yr promotional install of Mcafee. You don't really expect protection from a partially active security program, do you? You also don't expect Defender to intervene when McAfee was still present on your system, albeit inactive, did you? That goes to show you don't really understand how Defender works and why you're advised that you don't need any other security program. In case you glazed over it, here's a final reminder of the solution: get rid of SA, it's rubbish. Get rid of the other rubbish mentioned. If that's not an option, this thread will have outlived its purpose.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry, for my late response. ( was occupied, with other problems, hence could not HDTune, though it went very fast than expected...)

Like I said earlier, the problem of showing the Error has somehow already stopped now ( don't know the reason, how and why,... but for past 3+ days , the error has disappeared and banner ( Pic 1 ) is not showing up, anymore.

I have also now razed ASC fully from the PC, having many advice from all. I never have had at presently, McAfee as it expired few months ago already after its first yr's free trial, and hence now the control is, and was via Window's Defender itself. btw, I never stated/meant that error was due to Defender.

As per advice, I did HDTune and the picture for results is attached below. Few red spots there. Just wondered are they allowable,.. or, should I complain the make about defected item, as its not 1 Yr warranty period completed, yet.

6TB External HDD is never remained always IN,... I just attach it, only when needed and such back-up / bringing folders back, kinda situations arrive. 6TB, I attach only in emergency needs, does not remain always attached.

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Rakesh15,
Can you check a couple of things please.
1st, power off your computer.
2nd, disconnect all USB Storage type devices attached to your computer. External Hard Disks, External CD-Rom/DVD, USB Flash Drives of any kind.
3rd, Start the computer, report if you get the error.
4th, run Disk Manager, you can start by press the Windows KEY and the letter R to run, and put in DISKMGMT.MSC and press enter.
5th, can you take a screen shot of the "DISK Manager" display so we can see what your system "sees" as attached hard-drives.

Let us know...

-sapphire

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ Thx saar :

Did it. Error is not coming ( btw,......It had stopped coming for last 3 days anyway, for unknown reasons.. )

Now, I am rather more curious to know, whether the red boxes are acceptable, for my nearly new SSD drive,.... or should I think and ask for replacement ?

Is HDTune test also meant for SSDs or was it just for HDDs ?

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
HDTune can be used for SSD's and HDD's.
Your SSD shows you have 4 Bad Sectors marked (in RED) this means it is on the road to failure. Go to the Health tab, if you see a Yellow Caution, then check back often. Run HDTune periodically if you see more RED squares or More Current Pending Sectors it is time to replace your SSD. Start to make plans to replace it sooner then later. If it's under warranty send it back and get a new/refurbished one back for free.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
HDTune can be used for SSD's and HDD's.
Your SSD shows you have 4 Bad Sectors marked (in RED) this means it is on the road to failure. Go to the Health tab, if you see a Yellow Caution, then check back often. Run HDTune periodically if you see more RED squares or More Current Pending Sectors it is time to replace your SSD. Start to make plans to replace it sooner then later. If it's under warranty send it back and get a new/refurbished one back for free.
First, I agree that if it's under warranty it wouldn't hurt to get a new one.

But I have to disagree, vigorously, with the statement that having bad sectors means any drive "is on the road to failure." It is common, incredibly common, for drives to develop bad sectors over time. I seldom see any disc drive that's been in use for even a relatively short period of time that does not have a couple of bad sectors.

It is the rate at which those are being added which is the indicator of a failure in progress. If you're getting another bad sector every once in a blue moon, you've just got pretty normal stuff going on. If you see bad sectors starting to pop up relatively rapidly, and this continues at an increasing rate, then you've got a failure in progress.

I've had many drives that have a few bad sectors that have exactly those few bad sectors for years, or maybe pick up one or two more over the course of several years. Those are absolutely not drives in the process of actively failing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In regards to Advanced System Care, every time you update smart defrag, it tries to install ASC. SD works fairly well, can TRIM a SSD but defrag a HD but you should be careful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Question - my approach to SSD's is to use them as the System disc, but use a HD for the data disc. Affordable, the SSD tremendously improves system performance even though the data disc is an HD. Does this make sense to you following all this?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Surprisingly, windows defragment command, sfc /scannow, ASC, did not catch that error nor gave any indication about,… nor the Dell’s Support Assist even today, it does not catch any hardware error / Bad sectors while doing a quick hardware scan for 4+ minutes,… ( since, this is a Dell PC and hence Dell staff much rely n’ trust on their own service package aka Support Assist , as it’s tailored for their own Dell computers’ needs )

Health check shows “ n/a” ( picture below )

Just wondered,…

1. Is there any other ( Besides HDTune ) good surface scanning package, just for the second opinion ?

2. Say, If a similar new SSD is received, is there any way to make a clone copy, identical to this without installing everythg all over ?

BTW, this is the same SSD card, I had a thread with pictures if you guys still remember….

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/ssd-card-attached-does-it-remain-slanted-tapered-1237278.html

1 - 20 of 38 Posts