Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, allow me to say... :dead:

Alrighty. Now the problem is that I'm trying to build a new computer for myself. It has a ECS nForce3-A board with an Athlon 64 3000+, 1gb PC3200 (x1), 160gb Maxtor + 120gb WD, Radeon 9200 128mb DDR. Phew! *deep breath*

Now, I also have another computer which I'm trying to replace. It runs fine, but is older. Athlon T-Bird 1Ghz on an ASUS board of some sort (don't recall), 512mb PC2100, Radeon 9000 Pro 64mb, Maxtor 60gb, etc.

I put my Maxtor 160gb (new, out of the box) into the old computer as the master. It booted to my WinXP disc, formatted to NTFS (not 'quick'), and installed WinXP, booted, and activated the copy online. Simple enough. So, I slap it into my new system. It boots to almost the point of the WinXP loading screen, flashes a blue screen of death, and restarts itself instantly.

I've tried everything I can think of, but to no avail. I've tried to make it the only drive on the IDE cable, unplugging the second IDE cable to the DVD burner and CD burners, and nothing works. If I can boot it on the old system, why not on the new one?

So I pulled out my old Maxtor 60gb which has been in the old system for nearly 4 years and plug it into the new system as the only HDD. It tells me the system was not shut down alright. Choosing any option (Normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode + Networking, Safe Mode + DOS) gives the same error on boot up.

VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA ....................
Error loading operating system

Why will neither drive work? I -know- that they are both in perfect condition, so I'm pretty lost. Jumpers are all set up fine. CMOS has been wiped a couple times. I have swapped the graphics cards, with no effect at all.

Help!

· Registered
85 Posts
Often a blue screen of death during startup on Windows XP can indicate a operating system conflict or other configuration problem with installed hardware. Can you even boot into safe mode? If not, I would try loading the Fail-Safe setup on your CMOS (if it has one). If it does not, just disable any unnecessary onboard hardware. If this does not rectify the problem, you may want to experiment with taking out any add-in cards that you may not need to see if it boots. If this fails, I would recommend a format and reload.

In the way of clarifications, the hard drive you put into the new computer from the old one... is that running Windows XP as well?

· Premium Member
78,435 Posts
you cannot load windows in one computer,then take the drive and put it in another computer,it is looking for the original m/b and it is not there so it will not boot
format and install windows in the new computer

· Registered
85 Posts
Ah, I did not read your post closely enough.

Dai is correct. Removing an old hard drive and sticking it into a completely new configuration really does create problems for Windows. I would never reccomend it. Format and reinstall in its native enviroment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.