Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i recently built a computer with an abit an-7 mobo,a 160gb maxtor hdd, 512mb of ram and a radeon 9250...anyway
I was booting up for the first time with the OS (winxp home) in the cdrom rom drive, everything was going peachy until it came to formatting the hard drive, it took about an hour or so but when it was complete an error came up saying that it was unsuccsessful and the disk may be damaged... i then tried a "quick format" and then the setup decided that the disk wasnt inserted into the cdrom drive, giving up i quit setup and rebooted, on the next cycle on startup a message "error loading operating system" popped up and now wont go away... what can i do to stop this, and what can i do next time to make setup sucessful.

Thanks alot, any input it much appreciated, i have found similar posts but all of them are problems happening after winxp was installed, from friends input it seems my hard drive needs to be reformatted but i cant get to it anyway, ive tried to boot dos, fdisk and maxpower from the cdrom drive but to no preveil, once again any input is really appreciated, ime a real noob and am probably missing something stupid
John

·
UK
1,121 Posts
Hi

I would be inclined to download the diagnostic software from the maxtor site and zero the disc and check it over for faults and then use the 'install disc' option within that software and start again with XP - if the disc checks out OK that is.

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i tried to run it off a cdrom but it didnt work, i guess you need to run it from a floppy drive so ill have to try and "borrow" one.. thanks alot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i selected boot from cd as the first option in the bios settings but will try that, once again... thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.