Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At start up my computer recycles check disk/scan disk. There are no errors found but after indicating no errors at the bottom of the check disk/scan disk report, the message Error In Writing To The Output Log appears. Then the computer recycles, starting up again and running check disk.
The computer will boot up to a linux/puppy desktop by using an OS cd which runs only from the CD and RAM.
Sometimes the screen which gives a choice of startup options appears, but not always. It doesn't matter though because the keyboard will not work and allow me to choose to start up in Safe Mode.
I cannot run the XP disk to do repairs-the computer freezes before the repair options come on.
One time, right after I bought a new power supply today, the keyboard did work and I, instead of choosing Safe Mode chose to let it alone and start regularly. Well instead of starting up the computer continued to recycle.
In order to get into the BIOS I have to take out the battery or else pressing Delete will not get me into the BIOS instead just starting up to Checkdisk and recycling.
Frank C.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for replying.
I tried using the Maxtor fix disk program but the program froze right before startup.
I tried the Windows OS disk but that would just keep recycling after checkdisk.
I was able to get to the C: drive one time last night using the Windows XP disk and made it to the desktop in Safe Mode, which I wish I would have run in normal mode now - that might have made a difference. During this one time I ran fixboot but after getting to the desktop in Safe Mode I was never able to duplicate and get to the desktop again or choose whether or not to run from Safe Mode or able to run bootdisk or the fixmbr program.
I also tried to run the Microsoft memtest (mtinst)program that I downloaded to a floppy but that also froze after giving a Disk I/O Error comment.
All this time with every try and resulting failure I had to get into my BIOS to arrange the boot sequence and all other BIOS information after pulling out the battery and disconnecting the electrical plug.
Frank C.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.