Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is having a problem with his computer and I am trying to help him fix it over the phone. He has windows xp professional xp sp3 installed and it had been working for the last year and a half. When he starts it up now it goes to a screen that windows has detected an error and will close to prevent damage to your computer. He has not installed any new software or hardware. I had him try unhooking everything cd drives, floppy drive and restart still same issue. He has his operating system disk xp pro sp3 not oem. I had him try inserting his xp disk and was going to have him do at the repair screen checkdisk /r or sfc /scannow, but the disk starts like it normally would but before it gets to the windows setup screen it goes to the message windows has detected an error and will close to prevent damage to your computer. So I realize from that I guess I couldn't do a repair install either as it never gets to the point I could do that. I had also on one of my previous trips to see him gave him a reatogo disk which also starts loading properly and then gives him the same error (I tried the reatogo disk while the hard drive was plugged in and also without the hard drive plugged in which works for me-- same error). He is not computer literate but takes instructions well. I am wondering can bad ram, power supply, processor overheating cause this issue. This is a home built computer with a 2 ghz processor and 1 gb ram. Would like some suggestions hopefully as what to try next. He won't be working on it again with me on the phone again till tomorrow night. He is 71 but takes care of himself well. TY for any suggestions in advance but as I said it will be a delayed work in progress but I will post as soon as I have tried any suggestions and will get back to you promptly. If I can't figure out a solution I guess a trip to see him will be in order LOL.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
When your brother receives the error message is it stating any particular error code? (e.g. Stop 0x0000007E, or Stop 0x0000001E) or something similar. These stop error codes could be caused by a number of things. I see he's tried a chkdsk /r to no avail. See if the second part of the following link will help http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-...shutdown-to-prevent-damages-to-your-computer/. If this doesn't do it he may have to do a repair install. Just have him follow the last part in the link I've provided.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried as I said chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow and also I have tried a repair install as I said before it never will get to the point I can do any of those options. The disk loads properly to begin loading files etc but then before it gets to windows setup I get the error has occured and windows will shut down to prevent damage to your computer. I have not tried the mup.sys option because I can't get into the system far enough to do that. I have tried the UBCD4win live disk and also reatogo, bartpe and all get the same message after they load somewhat. I had him try the UBCD4Win disk with the hard drive unplugged to just boot to it but same message. I have used the UBCD4Win disk myself many times without a hard drive and it has worked. I am thinking it probably is not a problem with the hard drive maybe the power supply, ram, cpu, I just don't know. I also just mailed him my retail xp pro disk for him to try that to just to verify that his disk is not corrupted. TY quizme1220 for the reply. Any suggestions continue to be welcome TY!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update, tried reseating the memory, all power supply plugins etc. His computer now does not want to start at all. Seems to try to start but within a nano second shuts off. He has ordered a new power supply which we think may have been the problem. Hope it is not the motherboard. Power supply will be there in 2-7 days. Will update when it arrives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.