Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for helping me in advance.

Yesterday I installed a new motherboard, cpu and new DDR3 Rams as well, and ever since I installed those bits, the computer have been acting up.

First of all, I have lost the driver cd for the cpu, it's an intel Core 2 Quad Q8400.
The motherboad is a Asus P5QC, and the Ram are 4gigs (two 2 gig sticks) DDR3 Corsair XMS3. Nothing have been overclocked.

My problems started right away with the computer not turning on properly,
I could hear it boot, but there were no picture on the screen, when I took out one of the Ram blocks, it booted up without problems. If I inserted the ram block again, it wouldn't boot, it doesn't matter witch one of the 2 DDR3 ram slots I use.

When I only have one 2 gig block in, it runs fine for up to several hours, but will inevitably reboot without any error screen, on a quick view of the event log, I found nothing there.

I am completely lost on why it does what it does, so help are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Please post a link to your ram model number if you can. Sounds like a voltage issue. Did you go into bios and manually set voltage and timing to that required of your sticks?

Also, please post the rest of your specs. make/model psu, gpu.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I haven't changed anything in the BIOS.
Specs:
Corsair 400W PSU
ASUS P5QC Motherboad
Intel Core 2 Quad Q400
Corsair XMS3 CM3X2G1333C9 TW3X4G1333C9 1333MHz DDR3 Ram
Club3D Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+
250 GB Seagate HDD
1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

I just tried entering the voltage manually in the bios, it didn't fix the problem.

I also tried with my old 2 gig DDR2 rams, they work fine.
Does XP 32 bit support DDR3?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, 32 bit xp supports ddr3. It will not be able to see all 4 gigs. though. Likely only ~ 3gigs. You will have to upgrade to a 64 bit os to recognize more than that. This issue is not operating system related.

Are you trying to run the ddr2 and ddr3 sticks at the same time? Don't think that will work well. Also, you listed two different part numbers for ddr3 ram. Do you have platinum or xms3 or both?

You may need to flash bios to get this board working properly. Do not do within windows. If you decide to do this please feel free to ask for walkthrough.
Latest version 2103: http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=ShiLE9XNeuFKwFDC

The psu listed is not enough to power your system. You need to be up here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=corsair 650
Probably not the cause of this problem, but will need to be addressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
I didn't know that I needed another PSU.
I were using DDR3 only, now I'm back to the DDR2s.
I would like that walkthrough on flashing the BIOS.

The Rams as The Platinum CM3X2G1333C9

I tried the BIOS flash, It haven't helped on the 4 gig problem, I'm trying using 1 2 gig DDR3 block now to see if the flash has helped on the random reboots.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
DDR3 has problems. Is the "Platinum CM3X2G1333C9" OCZ RAM?
I would exchange the DDR3 for a 2X2GB matched pair of PC6400.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
The Rams are Corsair

Rather than Randomly rebooting, it's now freezing 2-3 minutes after entering Windows.
Could it be that I don't have a powerful enough PSU, so that when the last ram block are installed, nothing gets enough power?

Do any of you have any idea how to solve this problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.