Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to install support for my Epson 1650 scanner on a Laptop running XP/SP3 but installation has failed.

The 'new hardware found' wizard started; becsuse I had run this scanner on this laptop some months ago, I elected to allow XP to install the driver (usbscan.sys I guess) automatically. The installation failed with a message telling me that the registry information for this device was either incomplete or damaged.

In device manager the device has a yellow warning triangle. When I look at the properties for the device I get a similar message, along with 'Code 19' in the message.

Re-installing the drivers from the Epson product CD does not eliminate the problem. I would really like to avoid having to re-install Windows. Is there some way i can figure out what is wrong in the registry and fix it?

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
Oh. Are there filters for the printer registry keys? I didn't know that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually this is caused by a lower filters registry entry remaining from some other install -

ref: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives...due-to-registry-incomplete-or-damage-code-19/

Hah! I would love to be able to respond with something like: "Oh, I knew that; I was just testing you.....of course anybody would think straight away to go and examine HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} to look for the cause of the problem"

Sadly, nothing could be further from the truth. Never in a month of Sundays would I ever have though to look there and I've never heard of 'lower level filters' before.

Your advice has been 100% effective - that probelm is fixed now. But it gets better: the fix also corrected a problem with my Logitech camera - and it seems that this was the cause of the problem all along.

So I got twice the normal value from using this forum. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.