Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

For some reason my computer has ceased to be able to open all types of video files. It has never done this, and it only started happening when I played a new vid file I had and I recieved a Data Execution Prevention message.

Now, I have no idea as to why it would give me that message. So I tried another vid and I recieved the same error. I have researched the matter, and yes, I have played around with the OptIn/Out/On/Off options with no success. So I am unable to play a single video because of this error, and I have no idea what to do.

This is the exact error message I recieve when accessing video files:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000
My comp stats:
-----------------
AMD 64 3200+
nVidia 6800 GT OC
2 Gigs Corsair Memory
3 HD (350 gig total)
Win XP Pro SP2 w/ Updates

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but as I said above, I have already tried that. I have worked with it both on and off, and I have even edited the boot.ini file so as to completely turn DEP off.

Nothing has worked...and now my settings are all back to default, and yet my compter is still unable to run ANY videos, even ones I have had for a while and know work perfectly well. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And now the issue has progressed even further; I am unable to even access my vid folder without windows explorer encountering an error an closing out. I need some serious help.

·
Registered
230 Posts
In Windows XP you have the folder setting to view Thumbnails.
This asks Windows to read the first part of the vid to display an image
and with a corrupt file it will give you that specific symptom.

If this file is easily obtained again then I would go into the folder
through Start, Run, cmd and navigating to the folder and deleting it.

The files for the Windows Media player may have been corrupted and you should try to install Windows Media Player 10 or just download the current
version and install it again.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology=

Worked4me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't use WMP, I use DivX, BS Player, and RealPlayer One. And I have already checked their files.

I reinstalled severl codecs I have, and that fixed the issue for a few of the videos, though others are not working that have worked before and are the same format as the vids that currently work.

I did the thumbnail thing, and yes, the files do show up as being unplayable, but not corrupt. I have had them for a while now, so I know they are not corrupt. Though, when I did the thumbnail thing, my browser locked up and I recieved a message saying that Windows Explorer had encountered an error and had to close.

I have no idea what to do at this point, though I am going to try uninstalling all my codecs and then reinstalling the ones I know I need. Besides that, I'm stumped, so any more support would be appreciated.

And thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ok so we are making progress.
To verifiy that you have all the codecs needed to play a vid file
you can download Gspot and have it open the vid file and let you
know if anything maybe missing.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Just for troubleshooting purposes I would test the direct x Windows component. Start, Run, dxdiag, then select display and make sure
Direct Draw, Direct 3D, and AGP Texture acceleration are enabled.
Then test them with the and see if they are working properly.
You may even install the latest DirectX version.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...20-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&displaylang=en

The vid file you downloaded that seemed to start this problem was that from a trusted source?
If not then I would update the virus defs and run a full scan.
Then download, update, and run Spybot and Adaware.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
and
Adaware

Worked4me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh...damn...I had a long and drawn out post about the results your suggestions brought, and when I finally sat down and did what I said I would (remove and reinstall my codecs), it fixed everything. Sorry for the hastle man, and thank you guys for the support. Oh...and that Gspot tool is awsome.

Thank you guys alot.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Always glad to help someone who is appreciative of ones efforts.
I learned something to since I use a number of different video apps
daily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.