Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.whenever i try to install or uninstall something i get this error;
"Error 1324.The Path Public Folders contains an invalid character."
i thought it was a virus or a spy.but then i searched and found that it was somethg regarding the registry.but i havent changed anything and earlier it was working fine.when i start windows the windows installer starts and tries to install windows live even though its aleady installed.when i try to uninstall the program the app,i get this error.also when i try to install or uninstall any other any other software,i get the same error.i tried searching this forum and trying to find a solution.but didnt find any.
Can anyone please help me out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Open My Computer - locate the Shared Files folder on your PC, make sure these are not in the name: < > / \ : * ? | ". Your OS will not recognize these characters.

No special characters? Right-click the folder and select Rename (from pop-up list). Next: type Shared Files and press enter to give the folder its correct label.

Still doesn't work? Microsoft Windows Installer have great downloads to install a new copy. It helps you ensure the right installation and configuration of third-party software: but it may not work properly if it becomes corrupted. Go to the main website of Microsoft. Hope this helps!

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,380 Posts

Hi kothari. . .

I'd like to take a look at a registry subkey contents.

Bring up an ELEVATED command prompt (START | type cmd.exe | right-click on cmd.exe up top | select run as admin)

Now... copy and paste the following into the "DOS" command prompt box -

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" > C:\look.txt & start notepad c:\look.txt

If you have problems with the paste, right-click on the top of the DOS box then select "Edit" then select paste.

A notepad should appear with the registry key contents inside it. Then copy all and paste results in your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
AppData REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming
Cache REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
Cookies REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies
Desktop REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
Favorites REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
History REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History
Local AppData REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local
My Music REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Music
My Pictures REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Pictures
My Video REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Videos
NetHood REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts
Personal REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Documents
PrintHood REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts
Programs REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Recent REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent
SendTo REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
Startup REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Start Menu REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
Templates REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B} REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Downloads

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,380 Posts

Good Evening Kothari. . .

Apologies for the delay.

The output of the user shell registry key looks fine from here. I would now like to check out two other areas within your system. Please perform the following:

Please bring that ELEVATED command prompt back up again - START | type cmd.exe | right-click on cmd.exe up top | select run as admin

Now... copy and paste the following into the "DOS" command prompt box -

%systemdrive% && cd\ && cd\users && tree>%userprofile%\desktop\TSF052908a.doc && %systemdrive% && cd\users && dir *.*/a/s>>%userprofile%\desktop\TSF052908a.doc

There will be no Notepad appearing this time as I need the output in Microsoft Word format and wasn't sure if you have Word 2003 or Word 2007 or not. The command may take 10+ seconds to complete, so please be patient.

When it has finished, there will (should) be a file on your desktop named TSF052908a.doc. Please attach it to your next post; however, if your user name is your actual name or if you have any sensitive-named files that you do not want the public-at-large to see, please send me a PM and I will provide you with my email address so that you may send it to me in confidence. It is your call.

Should you wish to view the output yourself and do not have Microsoft Office Word 2003 or 2007, you can download and install Open Office v2.4.0 HERE, which will allow you to view the .doc file.

Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello.i tried to opened the file but i dont have the converter.i tried to import the converter but it gives me an error 1706.i have the setup for openoffice but i can instal or uninstall any program as it gives the error 1324

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.