Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. I have 3 possibly related issues.

1- Recently I've had multiple cursor/arrow freezes after I close my laptop and reopen it. This requires me to go into Task Manager, close everything down and reboot.

2- I'm still use a hard drive based email (Eudora) and have large files . When I rebooted for a cursor freeze last night, I got this error "could not open the file c:\Eudora\in.mbx for writing. Cause: The request contains an invalid argument (22).” Every so often my mailboxes get too large and I have problems, and in the past I was able to create a new inbox.

3- When I tried to rename the inbox or cut and paste it elsewhere so as to create a new one, I got this message "An unexpected error is keeping you from renaming the file" and "Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I've ran System Mechanic several times and have had no issues other than these for the 2 years I've had my X1 carbon, running Windows 7.

Thanks.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,147 Posts
I'd run a chkdsk /r from the command line and see what comes up...sounds like a corrupted file. You do have backups of your data, right? If not, back up what you can before you start tinkering.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the suggestions. I did first do a backup. I scheduled a chkdsk from the properties of my c: but it just went past it. I thought maybe I had this done frequently as part of my System Mechanic. Then I thought to chkdsk my backup drive, maybe it would fix the inbox there. That took several hours. I then noticed the corrupted inbox had not even copied over to the backup drive. I still can't cut, copy, move or rename it. My last resort will be to delete it.

I then tried to do the chkdsk from the cmd. I'm getting this message "access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in an elevated mode." I am an administrator, so I don't know what this means.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went back in to cmd using run as an administrator, scheduled the chkdsk /r c: and restarted, but the chkdsk still didn't run.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then I ran the Windows system file checker. It found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I tried to print out the CBS.log file but "access denied."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, actually, I did this already.
it had looked like this
autocheck autochk /r \??\C:
"autocheck autochk /r \??\C:"
"""autocheck autochk /p \??\C:"""
"""""""autocheck autochk /p \??\C:"""""""
"""""""autocheck autochk /p \??\D:"""""""
"""""""autocheck autochk *"""""""
a}\#
#

which I fixed to autocheck autochk * and it still did not work. I wonder if System Mechanic is adding those registry changes.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,869 Posts
Programs with reg cleaners or editors are not recommended here as they can screw up a system by changing or removing entries, Reg cleaners have a place, but only if you're well versed in what they do and how to use them. Unfortunately many users are not and can fall foul of the pitfalls. Do you have a windows install or recovery disc from which you might try running a repair.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have to look for my disks in the office (home now). System Mechanic seemed like a good idea at the time (Mar 2013) and I haven't had an issue until now. Would you recommend turning it off and using just the Windows repair functions? My knowledge is pretty limited to what I can google or occasionally post here.

·
68,869 Posts
I know you did it, this is another way to do it and possibly fix the corruption.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the Startup Repair fixed my ability to open Eudora but wiped my corrupted inbox clean. I have these on webmail. Not perfect, but it will work. The other little issues (freezing cursor) that predated the other problems may have been fixed as well. Before I close out this thread, I'd like to see if the CHKDSH and SFC will work.

·
68,869 Posts
Yeah, you might as well test it.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
1,200 Posts
System Mechanic is the cause of as many problems as it claims to solve - you should uninstall it, and then do a repair install of Windows.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, I am getting that message about System Mechanic and will uninstall it. Is there a tutorial here in TSF regarding regular maintenance? For the repair install do you have a preferred step by step link for me? My Win7 disk and DVD drive are in the office - would the repair install replace the need to try the disk-based SFC off-line, as suggested above?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, that Startup Repair freed up 90 GB on my C: drive - is this possible just from repairing things, or do you think I lost files other than my Eudora inbox?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for keeping this thread open. I didn't do the Windows repair install (a tad nervous about it), then had a coffee-spill-on-the-keyboard (my first spill in 25 years of laptop use). After 2 weeks in Lenovo's shop, I now have a nearly bionic laptop back with clean hard drive and fresh copy of Win 7 Pro. I was able to image prior to the repair using both Windows Backup and Lenovo Rescue and Recovery to an ext 2 TB HD. I also copied C: drive folders, pictures, etc., so I could access them on a borrowed laptop while mine was in the shop. I haven't done a Restore because I think this will write over my fresh Win7 with my old buggy Win7. I can't find any way to pick and choose what the restore does and for sure I can't find a choice that allows me to omit the OS restore.

Is there a way to open up the image and choose whether to restore items or not? Or is it just better to reinstall my programs from disk, eg Office, Adobe, and move back my folders one by one?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.