Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have run completely out of room on my HDD. i try to uninstall things that say they are a gig and i check and Ive only gained maybe a few hundred megabits. is there a way i can delete EVERYTHING off my HDD but not lose my OS? i no longer have cd's for it.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello Hatemycomp

Do you have a sticker on the case with the Microsoft hologram and product key on it?

That hologram with the product key is the important bit - that is the licence. You can borrow a CD from someone else, as long as you use your key to install Windows. But it must be the right sort of CD (OEM or retail).

If you cannot find the product key download and run Magic Jelly Bean
It will retrieve the product key from the registry, then you can proceed as above.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
What's the size of the system drive and of your other drives ? Hard drives are cheap nowadays, you may want to buy a bigger drive and clone your current drive to the new one, you won't lose anything in the process. Use xxclone, it's free : How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another. Give us the brand and model of your motherboard (or the make and model of the computer) if you need help determining what type and size of drive it will support.

Did you remember to empty the recycle bin ?

Other ways to free some space :
Clear out your Temp files.

Why? Well temp files can build up over time and eat into your precious disk space. When you install programmes, the installer uses temp (temporary) files as part of the set up process. Some programmes also use temp files when in use. These temp files should be removed when the installer or programme is finished, but this does not always happen. And, of course, your browser will collect temp files as well. A build up of temp files could leave Windows struggling to find room for its swap file (see below) – so everything slows down.

How do you clean out temp files? There are two easy ways – manually or by using a proprietary cleaning programme. Note that the cleaning programmes will often offer the option to clear out Temporary files created by your browser.

Manually (XP & Vista) – Firstly, exit all programmes, including browsers and AVs. Go to Start > Run and type %Temp% in the Run box and click OK. A folder will appear – it will contain temp files and temp folders. If you want to delete everything, press Ctrl+A (to select all) and then press the delete key. If you want to keep any files then hold down the Ctrl key and left click the file or folder. Then press the delete key. Click OK to confirm deletion. Once done, remember to go to your Recycle Bin and empty the bin.

Cleaning Programmes – there are various such programmes available for free. Among the best are

ATF Cleaner
CCleaner
Cleanup!

Don’t forget XP does have it’s own utility for cleaning – it can be found via Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

Any old programmes?

Do you still have some old programmes installed? When did you last use them? Remember that ‘trial’ software you installed? Has the trial period expired? Could you perhaps uninstall it (assuming you have the original installation disks)? Uninstalling such programmes will help free vital disk space. Oh, always re-boot after uninstalling – it helps to clear away the final remnants of an uninstalled programme.

Are you using unnecessary programmes?

By this I mean some of the numerous “enhancement” programmes available, that, while they may make your desktop look terribly exciting, are actually eating up precious resources. Things like third party screensavers and fancy wallpapers, Windows Taskbar replacements, WindowBlinds, Actual Transparent Window, XP Visual Styles, Stardock Theme Manager and so on. Nothing wrong with using them – they are all respected legitimate applications – but they may be contributing towards the slow down of your system.
source : http://www.techsupportforum.com/f174/is-your-pc-running-slow-247566.html

If you want to use the manual method to erase the temporary files you can hold the shift key while pressing delete to bypass the recycle bin.

If you use the disk cleanup utility (start => all programs => accessories => system tools => disk cleanup) then don't tick the "compress old files" box as it may slow the system down, you can check all other boxes.

Once you've done that go to add/remove programs and uninstall all the programs you're not using. Many programs leave remnants in the folder they were installed to. You'll find those folders under the c:\program files\ folder. For instance if you have already uninstalled some big game you may find the savegames weren't deleted and still occupy loads of space. By all means don't delete everything there, if in doubt about any folder ask here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.