Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not exactly sure how to achieve this. What we have are a few really good servers. I have Windows Server 2008 32bit installed on one of them with terminal services setup. I would like to sell server usage to others so they can run their programs in my environment instead of buying equipment on their end. The test seems to work well I even managed to lock down the users so they can't see each others data. The problem is I don't know how to completely separate the clients. Programs installed show up in everyone's start menu not just the client grouping who should be using it. Also I don't want users to be able to browse the network at all. Is terminal services the best way to go about this? Should I switch to Server 2008 R2 64bit and use Hyper V? Or should I be doing something else entirely?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
3,172 Posts
As far as what i have done with TS, is that you can limit the access and file browsing but there are some things you can not change due to it all being installed on one system
Program files will show up for all users
They will be able to browse the network but i think you can restrict that as well

the best option would be to my understanding would be to run ESXI if your current hardware is compatible you can check that here
Ultimate VMWare ESX Whitebox | Hardware: Complete Systems

Or you can go the route with Hyper-v (shurggggg)
and in that case you will run into same issue which would be either getting CALs for TS or getting OS licenses per device

The good thing about virtual machine and each client on its own machine is that you can arrange the machine the way client needs it and with their devices etc instead of having everyone RDP to your TS and they can see the printers installed and other programs which they will be able to open
thats what I think maybe someone else has better option for ya

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Only way I can see this happening is to use TS to gain access /authenication but you would then need to redirect the user to their own VM running on a different server.

This means they would install nothing on the TS server. It would only be the entrance.

Very similar to the old mainframe days/netware servers of you connect via a dumb terminal and you are billed for server usage. Open VMS and Netware had accounting packages built into them for this. I don't know of any system like this today.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
3,172 Posts
I think it will be easier to have VMware virtual Desktop
Each machine that will connect to the Server will have a VMware client installed and they log in and they will be only able to see their own machine and they start the machine and RDP session opens on their machine connecting them to the virutal machine which is configured for them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.