Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My first post on the forum with a problem!

Earlier today I believe my PSU died and blew. I was on my computer watching a video in Windows Media Player and the whole system shut off with a bang similar to a toy gun. I didnt see any smoke, but could smell burning. I opened my system up and the smell was coming from my PSU so I removed it. I have never been in this situation before, but I assume my PSU has blown.

My rig is self built and has been running for over a year with no problems at all. Nothing else plugged into the same sockets had any issues. The only changes to my system were a new HDD and CPU around 3 weeks ago.

All I can think of is that my PSU had just 'had it' as its over 2 years old. I have ordered a new PSU and I just hope nothing else in my system was damaged. Any ideas as to what caused the blow and if anything will be damaged?

Cheers.

My System:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
4GB DDR2 Corsair XMS2
Geforce 8800GTS 640
Creative X-fi Music
2 HDD's
1 DVDR
3 Case fans

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
hmmmmm freak case

have you checked with a multi meter to make sure your household electrical current is not over volting ???

other than that ???? the noisetaker 600 is a decent quality unit ?

just outta curosity what unit did you replace it with ????

RMA the enermax it should still be under warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it is a freak case!

I dont own a Multi Meter. What exactly is 'over volting'? I would have thought problems with my house electrics would have caused a problem sooner? I have been running PC's from the same sockets for the best part of 5 years with no problems at all.

Yes, I thought the Noisetaker was a resonable unit. Maybe its just old as I ran it in another system for around a year before my current one. It might be possible that it wasnt powerful enough. I am replacing it with a Seasonic S12 650W.

I really hope that nothing else in my system is damaged and that its just an unlucky one off thing. I am still waiting for my new PSU to arrive.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.