Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently built my system and it worked fine for 7 days and then the liberty 500w died. I am getting a refund, wondering - should I spend the extra and get the 620w or will the 500w do the job and I just got a dodgey 1?

It begs the question - why did it die and I was wondering if I pushed it to far. I thought It would be able to cope with my system and an overclocked CPU but I am not so sure now.

System Specs:

E6400 with Stock cooler
GA-965P-DS3 @F7 BIOS
GEIL 2X512MB PC2-6400 CAS3 (running at 2.0v)
1 x Sata HDD 1 x IDE 7200RPM HDD 1 x floppy
1 x DVD RW 1 x DVD-ROM
Coolermaster Mystique 632 case (2x 120mm fans)
3 x USB devices attached
Enermax Liberty 500w
X1950PRO

I did a trial overclocking to 3.2Ghz (didn't need to increase voltage), 4-4-4-12 800Mhz Ram. The system was stable but I wasn't happy with the CPU temperature so I returned it to stock until I get a better CPU cooler.

Will the 500w liberty be able to cope with this system, including overclocking and running the CPU at 100% for hours (prime95)?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hi Dave,

I have a philosophy when it comes to PSU's...It is "There is no such thing as Overkill". :grin:
The bigger the PSU [Wattage and Quality] the better.
A 650W PSU will probably not be ever working at its full peak capacity; hence, it'll last you a lot longer.
That's my opinion anyway, but others might beg to differ.
:wave:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valid point but do I really need it?

I will buy a new psu with my next system. I just want this to last me 2years or so.

Its an Enermax - one of the best quailty brands and I will never do SLI/Crossfire as I see it as a waste of money so 500w of liberty power at 32a on the 12v rails should be plenty?

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Most indeed that Enermax™ should be fine! :sayyes:
Especially if you don't plan on too many upgrades to the system [hardware wise].

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
it really depends on what you paid for your failed enermax ?????

I bet that unit was only 70% efficient and no active PFC (but i could be wrong check the specs on Newegg.com

but if you paid any where near $100.00 then I would go for the Antec 650 Watt Trio rail

it sells for $125.00 with a $25.00 rebate while they are promoting them thats a really high class unit thats 85% efficient and has Active PFC >>>> the overclockers are singing the praises of this unit big time and nobody streses them harder than the overclockign club

it doesnt hurt to have more power than you need! as stated by Chauffeur2 above

if you are an Enermax fan ( i like them; but there are others I like more now!)
then look for a unit that has 550 watts and 85% efficiency but I dont think you will find such for $100.00 after rebate!

***** remember****** Watts by itself almost means nothing any more when determining suitability! look at efficiency and Power Factor Correction (active or passive = Active is better of course)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spent around £70, which is about $140. This is the cheapest I can find it for overhere :S

Its rated as 80% effcient and has active PFC with dual 12v rails kicking out 32A.

Had a search there for that Antec but it doesn't appear to be avaliable over here... yet.

Just want something to last me a few years and that can cope with overclocking.

Already spent a lot on the rest of the pc, dont want to spend any more than needed, I know you can never have to much power but if a 500w quality unit can cope - there is no point spending the extra money.

Not an Enermax fanboy - all my previous units have been cheap but as I am building a quality system I want a Quality PSU to make sure it has enough power to run it.

In my research time and time again Enermax is at the top of reviews or forum related discussions.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
You might see what I have in my spec info. However as of three days from now, thats changing to an Antec TruePower Trio 650W tri 12V rail with 19A on each with 624W delivered to them, Nvidia SLI certified, 85% efficiency, APFC, 120mm fan that you cannot even hear, gold plated connectors for superior conductivity (lol), with 5 year warranty etc, I'm afraid :grin:

Once.. not long ago, a $200 Akasa PowerPlus 650W manufactured by Enhance being internally exactly the same as the SilverStone Zeus ST65ZF, with 33A on the 3.3V, 24A on the 5V rail and 13A, 18A, 16A and 8A on the 12V1, 12V2, 12V3 and 12V4 rails respectively, was a good buy even with its too-loud-for-a-house noise..

Right now, you can't beat the Seasonic in Antec 650W. Its your choice if you want to get it, but if you do upgrade, get it! I'm talking about John Fatal1ty, the no.1 professional gamer in the world stuff here.

Mods have given you good advice, zehr gut.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just done more searching for the Antec and found a site offering it for only £10 more than i paid for the Liberty.

Looks a really good unit.

Is there a real advantage having 3 12v rails over 2?

And what is the combined Amps of the 3 rails?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

The posters in your thread have given you excellent advice. Why the 650 over the 500? Well, a sentence you wrote tells me a lot.
DaveGT said:
Just want something to last me a few years and that can cope with overclocking.
With that in mind about the overclocking, a 500 just doesn't make it IMHO. Just wanted to add that bit to this discussion.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I agree with Tumble; if you stick with 500 watts erase the overclock ideas with your spec.

The three rails are good to 52amps!

the three rails are for 12volt to motherboard & CPU one rail each for two pci express video cards (the really high end power hogs too)

dont get me wrong; the Enermax company is first class (and the liberty PSU is the upper end of decent = on a scale of 1 to 10 I personally would give the Enermax Liberty a 8.75 the Antec 650 trio would get a 9.50 but the model you choose for the cost of it; makes it severley out gunned by the Antec 650 trio

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
The three rails are good to 52amps!
+ 5Amps :smile:

Yeah bugger, I'm in the UK at the moment and the prices there are too expensive in comparison to overseas.. especially US. Average price for the Antec I saw is £100 which is like $200. You can get the Antec here aswell. A good place for computing hardware is www.yoyotech.co.uk

Here's their Antec range: TruePower Trio 430W, 550W, 650W

Yes £xpen$iv£ I know :rolleyes: On a Xmas deal @ $140!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys,

I ordered the Antec Trio 650w last night before bed - getting it tomorrow.

Was a bit miffed as I found out I could get it through my work for a lot less - £63 ($120) instead of £85 ($170) which I paid on Ebuyer, shall know next time lol

52AMPS! - big jump from the 32a the liberty can push out, if that dies there must be water in my case :laugh:

Def worth the extra money just to put my mind at rest and allow me to overclock in the future once I get my Zalman CPU cooler.

Memory was showing faults with memtest before the PSU died, hopefully this fixes it, if no - another RMA :S

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

You will not regret that move. Regardless of the possible other problem (which might go away now), you made a move that is a major upgrade from where you were. If you choose to build something bigger in the next year or two, that part of the move up will be done, but with the 500, you would have had to do that again for a major upgrade. I just don't see how you could lose on this one. Keep us posted on what happens when you get the new PS in there and working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah it does future proof me, atleast for a couple years.

I will have it installed tomorrow nite so will let use know how I get on :grin:

On previous builds I got my parts from local retailers - a lot better for returning things as you can pop in and get a replacement that day. Online shops are cheaper but the RMA is a pain - started preceedings on the 3rd December .... just getting PSU now.

Goal is system 100% A ok before 2007 lol, with 2GB RAM and a Western Digital 150 rapter for my OS..... with that setup I am sure it will last me a few years..... maybe a DX10 G-Card next year to keep it up to date.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
maybe a DX10 G-Card next year

now youre really lucky you got the 650 antec! the DX10 cards are reported as being absurd power hogs that 500 would have never taken that!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aye true, was thinking tho that the G-cards makers would have sorted the power issues a bit by the time the cards become mainstream. But yes its good that the 650 should easily cope with one of them.

Canny see myself ever running SLI 8800's, just madness!

Just checked delivery and its on route to my house, so be installing it first thing when I get home...... praying the rest of the components are ok after the Liberty kicking it :pray:

Need to look out some cable ties too - nothing worse than a messy case!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Antec installed .... infact I am using the PC the now :grin:

One downside I have to say with the Antec is there is a S**t load of cables....will be hard to keep case tidy....opposed to the Enermax - only use what cables you need. Apart from that - seems to be performing well.

Still got some errors in Windows Diagnostics so looks like another RMA for the memory and pc dead for another week or so but kinda getting used to it.

Forgot how fast it is compared to my old laptop - can multi-task like madman and no waiting...... loving it!

First time I have got to see my new case lit up aswell as I got a new one in the middle of sending the PSU back, pretty smart.

Cheers again for the advice guys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On another note - this is what I got back from some in another forum why my PSU died, Its a lot of reading but does make sense :-

The Enermax power supplies are decent units. But it only takes a 3.3 volt error to ruin it. Any short. Any defective cable or socket or plug. We have been seeing a lot of SATA drives short out... something we rarely saw in a ATA or PATA drive...
Of course you have have a power supply get banged around enough in shipment from China, or from the import house to your supply house.
Because you don't know, you need to look at everything to attempt to track down the failure so it doesn't happen again. Think through it all: dirt or insect in the power supply itself; failure on one of the plugs... a pulled broken, or bent wire; shielding scraped off a wire; defective hard drive, floppy drive, and most commonly, defective DVD or CDRW drive; bad modem, NIC, or sound card... or bad memory module... or any defect in any that causes it to short or to draw too much power.
Run the system in short bursts. Then unplug the unit and feel for hot spots or melted plastic on the wires; smell for that unusual burnt smell metal makes when it gets too hot.
It is also worth the ten dollars to buy a power supply tester at Fryes, CompUSA, SWS Electronics or other site and test your old and new power supply. They are not fancy and use lights instead of meters.
Take your old Enermax to a friend who knows how to use a multimeter. Ask him or her to test every possibility of electronic error.
Once that initial looksee if complete, install only a few things. We like to do an initial setup with only a power supply, cpu and CPU Fan, floppy drive, basic video card, and one memory module. Boot and test voltages. Then add one component and retest. If there is something bad, you can sometimes track it down using this add-on approach... until you get to the hard drive.
With any luck, you will find nothing. Likely, some part obtained in China was defective and burned out... and it won't happen again... not with an Enermax. But it is smart to check it all so you don't blow a motherboard.

Scares me though - faulty part could still be in there.... waiting to kill the system. Getting new dvd / floppy drives anyway so disconnected.... just hope 1 of the 2 the old hard drives aint a nasty one!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.