Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've researched my issue a bit on this site since I've been here before and already had a login set up. But both my issue and I must need some custom help, so I thought that I had better post my details.
I have been having an issue for a while on my tablet with Windows XP where it won't shut down many items that are running in the background fast enough to please Windows during a Log Off or a Turn Off. I have been trying to solve this myself. I have asked for help at Microsoft Answers at speed up a slow Windows XP tablet? - Microsoft Answers but I just got lots of advice from folks who just think that I have a virus or adware mess. But I know that I don't, since I just recently did a clean install of Windows and started over!
The manufacturer of this tablet just wants me to ship it to them but I don't trust them enough to think that they really understand all of the steps I have taken to figure this out even though I have told them my story of what I have tried.
I even have a techy pro who lives nearby and helps me on many things, but he hasn't responded in over a week since I asked him for help on this.
Can you help me figure out what is keeping these background processes from shutting down or do you know someone who can help me?
I just wanted to remind you that I added as much RAM as is available for this pc recently, hoping to fix this issue. It has sure helped my pc work better but it hasn't fixed my End Now issue. I wanted to tell you a little more on the End Now thing, since it may have happened in the past to you. You probably have also experienced this and know it already ..... but when it pops that initial End Now box, I see no options. If I just let it try for a little longer, it finally pops a box saying Not Responding and showing 2 buttons - End Now & Cancel and nothing else happens. So I'm not sure what I was told that it does when it is just left alone. Maybe on some pcs, it does finally shut down the program on it's own that wasn't responding. I don't know.
If I hit Cancel on the End Now box, it stops shutting down the pc, but now my mouse won't click anything, not even START and it will only just display Click Here To Begin if I hover it over START. So I just need to force a shut down with the power switch.
So now I don't always seem to be seeing those End Nows on Log Offs or Restarts. So maybe it is only happening sometimes? Maybe only when something major is happening in the background that I'm not aware of, like it is syncing My Docs with my desktop pc using SyncBack SE or it is backing up on some scheduled backup to my USB hard drive using Acronis True Image Home?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.