Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My network (dlink 634m mimo router and dlink 520m mimo adapters) gets better connection speeds without the WPA-PSK encryption I normally use. Can I get the same security by simply restricting mac addresses on the router and skipping the encryption?

And while I'm here, my cable modem is a 4 year old surfboard. Is there any benefit to getting a newer one?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Not really no, as all a person needs to do to bypass MAC address restrictions is to clone a legitimate MAC address and use it. Finding the MAC address of a legitimate computer is far easier to get over an unencrypted wireless connection as all a person needs to do is simply sniff the airwaves and see a legitimate computer throw it at an access point. Restricting connections via MAC addressing with an unencrypted connection also does not anyone from seeing everything you send and receive.

As for getting a new cable modem, I can not see much of a benefit unless your old one is acting up.

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
WPA/WPA2 is the only "real" security for a wireless LAN. Stuff like SSID hiding, MAC filtering, disabling DHCP, that are frequently recommended only make it harder for you to use your network.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.