Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enabling DHCP renewing

7K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  SkotRogers 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a problem with enabling my Dhcp. I did ipconfig /release once then ipconfig /renew but then it says this:

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

Before it kept saying Limited Connectivity, and didn't load any pages. I then went on Internet Protocol Properties and did "Use the following IP address", filled out the information and it took the Limited Connectivity away, and it looked like it was working normal but then I opened my browser and it didn't load any pages.
I think it is bcause Dhcp isn't enabled, and to enable I must do ipconfig /renew, right? But as I said the error message comes up and doesn't let me renew.

So is there any other way to enable Dhcp or just fix my problem??
Thank You Very Much for your help :)

#2 ·
To enable DHCP you have to back to Internet Protocol Properties and uncheck the "Use the Following IP address" boxes. That will return the system to using DHCP.

There has to be a DHCP server of some kind on the network handing out addresses though. This could be a router of some kind or a pc/server depending on what kind of setup you have.

#3 ·
I unchecked the boxes, and now I am back to my original problem. It says the "This connection has limited or no connectivity", doesn't load any pages. I did ipconfig /all and it now says Dhcp Enabled: Yes, then I did ipconfig /renew but it is left blank for like a minute, then comes up with this error message:

An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Also in Subnet Mask it says 255.255.0.0 whereas on my other computer it is 255.255.255.0, I have 2 more computers connected to the wireless network, all their internets are working.

Thanks for your fast reply.

#4 ·
Maybe you can share some information?

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

What country are you located in.
Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
What is the expected Upstream/Downstream speed for your ISP Connection?
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make and model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 216.109.112.135

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi John, thanks for the reply :)

I live in England, United Kingdom.
ISP: BT broadband/voyager/centralplus..whatever.
Broadband Modem: BT Voyager 2000 Wireless ADSL Modem 802.11b
Hardware version of the router: It's the same probably and my adapter is 2Wire 802.11g USB Wireless LAN Card.
Connection type: Wireless, Wireless encryption is used - WEP 128-Bit.
Make of comp: Hewlett-Packard HPvs19
Browsers: Mozilla Firefox and IE
System: Windows XP Media Centre Edition Version 2002 SP2.

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally? There are 2 other computers on the same network, they all function normally.
What is the expected Upstream/Downstream speed for your ISP Connection? Downstream speed: 2272 Kbps
Upstream speed: 288 Kbps
Downstream latency: Fast
Upstream latency: Fast
If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms? No I haven't and I have 2 other computers that need internet.
Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms,including the exact text of any error messages: I explained in the previous posts, and the results.txt has the error messages.

Attachments

#9 ·
Yes, the reason you can't renew your IP is that the system can't contact your DHCP server. Are you sure it is trying to connect to the correct wireless network?
Have you tried disabled WEP on the router and seeing if you can connect to the wireless and get an IP address in an unsecured environment?

#14 · (Edited)
Is the wireless card the adapter?
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter. The other 2 computers use a different adapter, so I installed that one aswell and still get the same thing. I really shouldn't of did ipconfig /release in the first place and just wait:upset:
I also tried the ipconfig /renew in an unsecured environment as I disabled the WEP encryption. It still didn't work.
Is there a way just to completely reset all my ip configurations on my system? Would this work? http://wiki.ittoolbox.com/index.php/Reset_IP_configuration

Thanks a lot for all your help + consideration for my problem:grin:

#17 · (Edited)
omg wooooooooooooooooooooot i done it!!! :D
It works now!!...
I realised I had a firewall not in use which was probably stopping the connections to my dhcp server.
If anyone has the same problem just virusscan comp, uninstall/reinstall driver, disable your internet for a moment, uninstall all your firewalls, turn off your router firewall, enter these commands...netsh int ip reset reset.log, netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ip reset restlog.txt, netsh int ip reset, clear all temp and cookies, then reboot your computer.
To be honest I just googled the error and entered like every god damn command and just lots of random stuff, but until I found the firewall and uninstalled it works. So if you got this problem make sure all your firewalls are uninstalled!

Thx guys for all your help :D

#18 ·
I had this exact same problem and was on the phone with tech support for 2 weeks! They had me trying to just disable all of the manual IP addresses that I had to put in there because they said that's the only way to activate the DHCP but the IP that they us is static and when you'd wipe it off there'd be nothing going to the Wifi. I could tell that because when the static IP address was in the TCP/ICP settings my iPhone would get great wifi from the router. When I wiped that out I'd get nothing on the computer OR the iPhone. I came from Comcast to this little company that services my new building and noticed at the top of the web pages it would still say "internet explorer presented by Comcast" and I was asking them why in the world it should still be saying that? They were just dashing over it like, "no, that's not a problem"

Frustrated, I follwed this advice and typed all of these command prompts not really knowing entirely what they do but at the same time just being fed up with the whole thing:

netsh int ip reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset restlog.txt
netsh int ip reset

I also deleted the Firewall that I had (which was turned off, but who knows if it was doing something behind the scenes). And like mystical interweb magic it works now!

Try all that if you're going insane getting nowhere with tech support :)

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

can't browse web page / can't get online / can't use view webpages / connected to router but not to web / router is online but internet explorer doesn't work / clear old ISP settings manually / reset firewall / Static IP problems / iPhone WIFI works but laptop doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.