Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

i would like to know how to emulate windows xp on windows server 2003 sp1.

i need this because some applications will not run on 2003 but only on

workstation OS-es.

now i know there are such utilities as removechk script (which will force

the .msi file into not checking the OS version), but those will only work

for windows-based installation, and will have no effect if the application

has its own installer (or self-installing package).

ok, i have learned about microsoft application toolkit, which should be able

to emulate windows xp on server 2003, so that the application i want to

install thinks it's actually being installed on xp.

is that true? and if so, pls can anyone guide me how to use ms app toolkit

to emulate xp on 2003? for i have tried to no avail...

thank you all in advance

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would say go dual-boot, if at all possible. I'm also curious as to what application you would want to be running on a server that is designed only for Windows XP?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thigley986 said:
I would say go dual-boot, if at all possible. I'm also curious as to what application you would want to be running on a server that is designed only for Windows XP?
it's mainly about antivirus and firewall (software) apps that are specifically designed one way or the other, workstation or server.

it's been quite some time since im trying to get the kaspersky av server edition trial (from their website) running on my server 2003, unfortunately to no success whatsoever, so i fancied installing their personal (workstation) version instead.

however, im now reconsidering the whole deal and will most probably chose some other server-dedicated av :)

thanks alot for ur ideas

PS: vmware (or the like) is not of much help, since it installs a virtual pc (or better yet, a virtual OS e.g. XP ) on the real server 2003.
what i need is not a vrtual OS within a real OS, but an utility that would make the real OS (that is, server 2003) look like it was XP to the apps i need to install...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
bbbobbbo said:
PS: vmware (or the like) is not of much help, since it installs a virtual pc (or better yet, a virtual OS e.g. XP ) on the real server 2003.
what i need is not a vrtual OS within a real OS, but an utility that would make the real OS (that is, server 2003) look like it was XP to the apps i need to install...
Windows Server 2003 is for *server usage*. It's not meant to be another Windows XP or Windows 2000. You don't install typical desktop programs on a server. If the only reason you installed it was to use it (waste it) as an everyday desktop workstation, then you chose the wrong operating system. :4-thatsba If i'm wrong about your intentions, then my apologies, but I have stated this to countless "desktop users" who installed Server 2003 just because it was the "next big thing" from Microsoft.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, who would want to install an OS that is faster, more secure by default, and can do everything the older OS can do?

Lord knows I HATE having SQL Server 2000, 2005, Oracle, IIS6 running, doing development with VS.net and then being able to fire up GTA:SA to take a break without shutting anything else off.

I hate that the only reason programs don't work in 2k3, when then do in XP, is because it was hard coded into the program....

Anyway, onto the topic of virus scanners and firewalls

For some of your options

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/misc.htm

Known Working Antivirus applications

AVG Pro
Eset NOD32
eTrust AntiVirus 7
F-Secure Anti-Virus for Servers 5.41
PC-Cillin 2003 (Grab the patched PCC.msi and refer to this readme.txt for instructions)
PC-Cillin 2002 (Grab the patched PCC.msi and refer to this readme.txt for instructions)
Sophos Antivirus
Symantec Norton Antivirus Corporate 7.6
Symantec Norton Antivirus Corporate 8.x (Not Home versions of Norton Antivirus 2002/2003)

Known Working Firewalls

Norton Personal Firewall 2003
Sygate Personal Firewall v5.0 Build 1175
Tiny Personal Firewall 4.0
ZoneAlarm v3.7.159

====

Personally, I like Tiny Personal Firewall if you don't have a hardware firewall.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I do have XP installed on one of my systems and I have installed 2003 on my removable 40GB drive. I don't notice any difference in speed. Security-wise, 2003 is more secure/paranoid *by default*, however, the majority of the settings can be applied to XP as well.

At least you use it for what it was meant for. I mainly have a gripe with people who think Microsoft created the system as "the next XP", and then wonder why some of their programs aren't compatible with a SERVER edition of Windows. My way of thinking is when you install a server, it should be installed with the bare minimum needed to get it up and running. Microsoft didn't intend for the system to be used for normal workstation usage, hence the price tag.

Anyways, whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You guys gotta be kidding me.
Let's try and resolve the problem instead of debating the uses of licensing. If you want to debate this we can move it to a different forum.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
bbbobbbo said:
it's mainly about antivirus and firewall (software) apps that are specifically designed one way or the other, workstation or server.
AV software runs at the kernel level. This is probably the reason why it will not work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not really. Take for example Panda software, I had a discussion with them quite a while ago about their personal antivirus software. While they have a version that you can access online (it downloads, then runs, so you aren't connected to the net the whole time) will work perfectly fine on windows 2003. The personal version is hard coded to detect "Server" versions of windows and not run at all.

They admitted that there was no reason their software wouldn't work without this hard coded response.

They were receptive to the idea that some developers might not need all the functionality of their server versions. I haven't checked in the last while to see what has become of it.

Many older anti-virus software just require a few files that inform it that "yes you can run on this"
It's all in the marketing policy of a company really. Not the development side.

There is VERY little difference in the underlying operating system when comparing Windows XP and Windows 2003. All the changes are mostly in extra functionality and bug fixes/security.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.