Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm trying to get EDMW to work. game was released in 03 and is set up to work in win95-xp so i figured i'd hit some walls. so, while the first install failed, that was due to me minimizing it like an uninformed person. (lesson learned, don't minimize old things, they do not appreciate it) ANYWAY, second time installer worked due to no minimize. buuuuut now i can't get the game to turn on. i DIDN'T install DX9 because i figured that since i have... 11 or so.... i wouldn't need to. so that could be my problem but i'm not sure. which brings me to the current wall i'm hitting. i can't get it to start. first thing i try is simply telling it to run with a double click. for some reason it asks for admin privs. so i run it as an admin.... aaaaand nothing happens. so then i tried setting the application to compatibility mode for xp service pack 2 which is what i did to get a different old game to work. (though that one had steam support and was likely patched so it would work) EITHER WAY, fact is, i can't get it to work and i am hoping y'all can help me.

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,169 Posts
You might want to check if there are any patches/fixes that will help the game run on newer OS. Sometimes independent developers release Mods/patches to fix issues with old games, you might want to check there too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might want to check if there are any patches/fixes that will help the game run on newer OS. Sometimes independent developers release Mods/patches to fix issues with old games, you might want to check there too.
tried that just now. did not fix problem. also tried compatibility after patching, still no dice. what next?

·
3,169 Posts
Do you get any error messages when the game runs ?

Also, open Task Manager on the side, start the game and see if the exe is getting called and if it's running there.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you get any error messages when the game runs ?

Also, open Task Manager on the side, start the game and see if the exe is getting called and if it's running there.
well i don't get error messages just a "it crashed would you like to end now or have windows find the problem?" there's a background process for it that goes on momentarily when i attempt to run the game.

·
3,169 Posts
If you go to Start--Run--Evntvwr.msc what is the App Crash log under Application when the app was launched ?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you go to Start--Run--Evntvwr.msc what is the App Crash log under Application when the app was launched ?
what am i doing to follow this? cause i tried typing "run" into start menu and then typed "evntwr.msc" into run, and it told me that it couldn't find Evntvwr.msc

·
3,169 Posts
My apologies, typo.. eventvwr.msc

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm not sure exactly what i'm looking for. can i have a screenshot of what i'm looking for. BUT.... I have a guess.

"Faulting application name: Empires_DMW.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x41581681
Faulting module name: Low-Level Engine.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3ff239dc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000572ea
Faulting process id: 0x3e2c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3e074226819ce
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Empires Dawn of the Modern World\Empires_DMW.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Empires Dawn of the Modern World\Low-Level Engine.dll
Report Id: 1de8cae3-30a1-4ef9-ae45-116b14b902e6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: "

is that what you are looking for?

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
I have opened your other thread for you so you can continue from where you left off.
I will merge this with it.

·
3,169 Posts
Thanks Joe..

This seems to be a compatibility issues, here's an extreme test that you can try, you need to kill explorer and then launch the game, see if this works..

I can write a script for that, but this is easier..

Go to the game folder and copy the complete path of the .exe including the filename,

something\something\something\game\game.exe

Once you have this, Open Task Manager, highlight Explorer.exe and right click and End Task/Process, the screen will become blank, this is expected, however the Taskmgr will continue to remain there.

Go to file--new task-- paste the path you copied and click Ok, see if the game is able to launch..

If it does, then you would require a script or a mod to launch the game for you..

Let us know how this goes..

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue. the game's logo appeared as normal, then the screen's resolution dropped to 800x600 and then it disappeared, leaving me with a black screen.

a thought occurred to me, would it be possible... that the game isn't working because the resolution it is set to is not supported by my graphics card? 800x600 is as low as my graphics card allows as far as i can see.

·
3,169 Posts
If it's the resolution that is the issue, then you can right click the app, go to compatibility tab and run it on 640x480 resolution and see if that helps..

·
3,169 Posts
ok, then we need to go ballistic..

Download and install process monitor from live.sysinternals.com and clear all the events, start capture, launch the application, once you get the error click ok or whatever option you get, stop capture and save the log and share it with me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.