Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Compaq Presario. Win98. had virus. removed virus. ran SFC. defrag.exe corrupt, replaced (c:\windows\systems). config.sys corrupt, replaced (c:\windows\systems). re-started system get EMM386 error #01, memory add C203:C872. EMM386 has halted your computer. can boot from A: w/ boot disk but don't have original CD to run restore.

Suggestions please...thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It sounds like you are going to need to get a new restore cd from the manufacturer.. or go and buy a windows os. Then just boot into dos, type 'format c:' and away you go... you shouldn't need to worry about running fdisk.. most restore cds and windows os cds will let you partition the drive before you install during the setup. Actually you probably wont even have to bother with formating first.. I always do it anyways just in case.

Oh, and to make sure that computer continues to run problem free after this.. take a piece of duct tape and put it over-top of the 'compaq' logo on the case.. that should fix it up real quick. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the laugh!

Thanks for the reply...What I did was rename config.sys and autobat.exe and created two new files...with nothing in them. System is now up and running but for the life of me I cannot get the LexMark printer scanner to work, or get on-line. I get a pctptt error message which I researched and found out was a modem driver file. I will drive re-loading that for the on-line problem. Don't know yet about the USB LexMark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.