Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my first HD failure and my ERD is not bootable (how useful is that?!). I am surprised and somewhat sheepish to say I never learned how to make a bootable CD for Win 2K Pro. So what do I need to do?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the CD. But shouldn't I be able to make a CD bootable from my installed OS (the PC I am using to access the forum and the damaged PC both run Win 2K Pro)? I mean, suppose I wanted to put an autorun.inf et cetera on a CD, is there some equivalent to the DOS "sys" command?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team
10,822 Posts
More trouble than it's worth, since you have a good CD.

Suggest instead you just make a simple Win98 boot disk to start the machine with and run setup.exe on the CD after things get started.

You can make a host of different boot disks from this site:

http://www.bootdisk.com

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
If you have the ERD and your windows 2000 system disk, you should be able to boot from your windows 2000 disk and then use the repair option and then select ERD option. The ERD is NOT a bootable disk. Keep in mind if your HD has failed, then you might be out of luck anyway. Before you panic, try booting from the windows 2000 disk, select repair, go to the repair console and try running chkdsk /r to see if it's just an error on the disk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.