Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EMERGENCY - HELP! Unknown Partition (Vista) - "System Commander 7" killed my Vista :(

Hello Everyone,

I'm running on a dell inspiron 1420, which actually belongs to my company, not even me.... I was saving all my work files on my "D" Drive In case i ever needed a format in the future, i wouldn't have to transfer it then. Everything was fine, until i realized that the 10GB that it gave me (the D) wasn't enough.. So i was attempting to extend that partition

I took the laptop to a friend of mine's, and he install "System Commander 7" on my laptop. As soon as it booted, i could no longer boot into my vista. The partition shown by System Commander was "Unknown".

So i then popped in the Windows Vista CD, still calm, thinking i can just repair my boot sector and that's it.. So now it goes straight to the Diagnostics partition with the memory test and all that.

When i try the CD's repair, it finds my Vista, but under "Location" for the partition it says "Unknown".

If anyone can help, it'll be GREATLY appreciated, this is VERY critical work. I work as a Web Designer/Developer for Jasonhunterdesign.com, and there are alot of client's archives stored in that partition. Formatting is not an option, I must recover this, and I must do this immediately.

·
Banned
468 Posts
Re: EMERGENCY - HELP! Unknown Partition (Vista) - "System Commander 7" killed my Vist

Vista has a built-in partition manager; you can change it's size live, while in windows. Your friend had no business messing with your computer, if he didn't know that.

I have a few ideas, but due to the nature of the data I'd rather not guess at it. You might need a professional on this one. If the data is still recoverable.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,344 Posts
Re: EMERGENCY - HELP! Unknown Partition (Vista) - "System Commander 7" killed my Vist

There is no way of knowing if your data still existent, but it's possibly only your partition table that is damaged. One method of fixing this is by using TestDisk I must say that you do this at your own risk, but I can't see that you have any alternative I'm afraid. Before trying TestDisk, you might like to discuss it with Eneles, the author of the article. In any case, I'll ask him to look at this thread.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

Hi,

What a mess. :sigh:
I agree with the others - the partition table and, most likely, the MBR (master boot record) are messed up.
But, since you can't start Windows, we can't use the Windows version of TestDisk (and the DOS version won't see the NTFS partitions).

Try this instead:
Download Super FDisk to another computer with a CD burner.
Unzip the downloaded file and create a bootable CD from the downloaded ISO file.
Boot the computer with the S-FDisk. Don't make ANY changes in S-FDisk - just have a look and see if both partitions are there and post back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.