Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,this is my first time using this website. :wave:
Anyways, my computers have been working fine for the past few years. However, when i wake up this morning, both my desktop and laptop had issues.

First of all with my desktop (window vistas), it's unable to boot and it has never happened before. I made sure that all the power supply are on, and that the wires are firmly plucked in. The voltage should be the same since it has been working fine for the past years. The wires itself seems to have no damage from the looks of it. Basically, when i click the power switch, there is no sound of fans starting, light appearing, or any activity that indicates the starting of the desktop. What should I do? I suspect that the power switch or in worst case, the motherboard has problems...

As for my laptop, I am able to boot it. However, when I first booted it this morning there was no detection of any harddrive, and there was nothing except for recycling bin. I tried to restart it, and it seemed to work fine now, but one of the harddrives (D), is missing. My C drive is still there though.

At the moment I am more worried about my desktop, and deep thanks to anyone who can help me :)

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
For the desktop, it could be various things. Without seeing it, I would guess that either your power supply has died or your motherboard. Just because it's been working fine for years does not mean that today wouldn't be the day the part failed. It happens. How old is the computer? What brand is it?

·
Registered
720 Posts
As Diafne said, if you're getting no signs of life at all and you're 100% certain everything is connected properly, the PSU or MoBo is dead.

What are the specs including the PSU?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Diafine: sorry I'm not anywhere close to a computer expert. I tested my power supply with a lamp, it works just fine so I don't think there's any problem with that. The desktop is only in use for 2 years though, so I don't think the motherboard will just die out of the blue. The brand is HP Pavillion a6648f PC, or at least that's what I think it is. What should I do now, go take it to a store or...

@brobarapas, I checked the disc management and it showed three I think: here's exactly what it looked like:
1. (no name) healthy (EISA configuration) capcity:1.46GB
2. (no name) healthy (primary partition) capacity: 8.48GB
3. S3A6747D005 (C:) healthy (system, boot, page file...etc.) capacity: 224.94 GB

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
A lamp? Care to share exactly what you did?

A power supply and/or a motherboard can go out at any time without warning. It's also possible, even with the computer powered down, that something like an electrical storm could have taken them out. Far from unknown.

I still don't understand what you did to test it with a lamp, but power supplies can still give power, just not the correct power. I have a number of bad power supplies sitting in this room with me waiting to go to recycling. The all give off some power, just not what's needed to power up the computers they came from.

While I'm on it, it's possible that both could be bad now. I've seen bad power supplies take out motherboards.

·
computer wizard
1,658 Posts
(1) is your recovery partition dont touch that,

(2)is this the partition that you cant see,it does not have a drive letter assigned to it,

Click "Computer Management." In the expanded menu within the left pane, click "Disk Management." Right-click the drive with the letter you would like to reassign. If the drive does not appear in the list in the top pane, look for it in the grey pane below. Select "Change Drive Letter and Paths."

Click "Change..." In the dialogue box that appears, click "Assign the Following Drive Letter" and select the desired letter from the drop-down box on the right. If it's a partition on your system hard drive, assign the letter "D" unless another letter has been previously applied to that partition. Use letters E through Z for auxiliary hard drives, CD and DVD drives and media card readers. If it's a floppy drive, assign letter A or B. Click "OK" twice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@broparapas I tried what you said and it worked so far until the point where you select "change drive letter and paths" I see the option when right click the drive, but I can't click on it because the color of the letters is grey, not black. Well, I don't have that much information in my D drive, but I am curious, do you know what might have caused this to happen?

@diafine: um, I think I was being silly. Once again, I really don't know much about computers and since you said power supplies, I thought i'd try to plug a lamp into the same power supply I used for the computer. It lit up, so I assumed that there was power...
anyways, what should I do now? bring the computer to a technician? since after what you explained to me I guess that either the power supply wire is damaged, the motherboard is damaged, or the power button is messed up...

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
OK. You were talking about testing the power jack in the wall. The power supply is a box inside of the computer that takes the power from the wall, through the power cord, and converts it for use in the computer. This box is probably what went bad in the computer.

Yes, I would suggest that you take it to a reputable technician in your area who can test it and repair it for you. Replacing a power supply is fairly easy and inexpensive. If the motherboard was also taken out or if it's the problem instead of the power supply, it could cost more than what it would cost for a new computer. A reputable tech will be honest with you about that.

·
computer wizard
1,658 Posts
It could be the CMOS memory that is corrupted, That can be reset to a default condition that will allow the computer to boot. You can do this usually by temporary moving a jumper on the m/b. remove the power cord and then remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds then replace it. The CMOS battery can be recognised as a silver disk about the size of a small coin.also dont go running just yet to a technician, there is a great guide on this site for testing hard ware,im looking for the link for you but cant seem to find it,Im gonna be off here for the eve,stick with ther is some great guys on here that will gladly assist you/

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see, thanks for the help everyone :)
I will ask a local technician to fix it if possible

can anyone tell me what might have caused the power supply or the motherboard to gone wrong?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
Sometimes they just fail. It could also have been a power surge of some sort. Lightning is a common cause, but it could also be "dirty" power in your home. No way to tell for sure.

If it was a cheap power supply put in by the manufacturer, it could have just been it giving up the ghost.

If it's the motherboard, again it could be a power surge, or a defect in manufacturing, or bad capacitors (more common on older machines), or...

I would recommend getting a good surge protector for it, if not a UPS (Universal Power Supply) to regulate the power coming into the computer. A good UPS can be setup to keep the computer running during a power outage for long enough to shut it down properly. More expensive ones will shut it down properly for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.