Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I don't even know if I am posting this in the right forum, so sorry if this is the incorrect forum. I cannot open my email. I have windows xp and use msn email, I recieve the message that msn has encounter a problem and needs to close. Prior to this I wasn't even able to get onto the internet because of a google add-on problem. I did disable the google toolbar and can at least get on to the internet. I also have a windows live messenger problem. I don't know what I am doing so any help would be appreciates--especially with the email. Thanks so much for your time and I hope you have a happy new years eve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using IE version 6. I have more info though--I contacted my internet provided (not sure if I should say who that is) and they were able to help me get to my email through hotmail. They were not able to get MSN Premium (which I was using for email) to uninstall or reinstall. Although I can get to my current email, I can't get to messages that I have stored on my computer.
I also found out that through Windows automatic updates, IE 7 was trying to install but failed. My husband then had problems connecting to the internet because of google ad-ons. He used regseeker and now I suspect that I have registry problems. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Most IE7 issues can be resolved by disabling/removing the add-ons.
You might want to try and run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized) (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for your response. Should I run the system file checker even if I don't have the Windows XP cd (since it came installed on my pc)? I have some restore cd's but I don't know if they will restore the pc to the original state.
So even though IE 7 failed to install, it is affecting the IE 6 add-ons such as google?
Happy New Year!!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
If you do not have a cd then you should not run it, it would prob ask for the cd therefore defeating your purpose.

So even though IE 7 failed to install, it is affecting the IE 6 add-ons such as google?
What was the error you recieved that has you saying it failed to install?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the windows update history it shows that IE 7 failed to install. In addition, under the help menu on IE it shows IE as version 6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.