Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yahoo/att! account for email. I left my password out foolishly one day and as a result believe someone I am dating has been 'snooping' and even may have downloaded emails documents when he 'returns' to his house for the past few days.

I just changed my password and called ATT/Yahoo and they said unless a major hack, they have no records, especially if they ARE using the password!

As to double check, I wanted to know if there was ANYWAY there is a digital fingerprint to prove he logged in and reviewed emails, etc? Can this be done at all?

Aside from the obvious hard proof with documents printed and laying around his house, would the servers at ATT know at ALL? Even if i pressed charges and an attorney subpoena Yahoo!? Anyone??????

There was some pretty sensitive docs...:banghead:

· Registered
5,027 Posts
My current email provider gives me a line at the top of each login showing the date, time and IP address of the last login at each new access. This is by default and is to give assurance that my account has not been accessed illegally.

Purple Violet Text Pink Lilac

I have not used Yahoo! since they repeatedly cancelled my accounts, supposedly over my use of advanced encryption which they could not overcome (the only reason I could determine). When queried as to WHY my accounts were repeatedly deleted, they gave no reason other than their right to "refuse any user at their discretion." :angry:

Anyway, the Yahoo! server likely DOES have all of the information you seek, but unless you have documentary PROOF of the breach, law enforcement will not assist you to find out. That is the only way to get to the bottom of this, and requires a warrant be issued as this is legally a SEARCH. They have to have "reasonable suspicion of an offense" to obtain the warrant to get the information you seek. :rolleyes:

It sounds like you may have dated a stalker, control freak or possibly a workplace snoop or worse if this is what is happening. Be very careful who you let into your personal space. When I was dating, it took at least 3-4 months of getting to know them before I ever let them inside my home. But then I was employed in a very high level security clearance position! I don't know what kind of "sensitive" material was in your emails, but unless you are running strong encryption, your emails are NOT secure, especially from gov't snoops. Unencrypted emails are open to anyone along the path of transmission to access them at will! :nonono:

BTW, an acquaintance of mine several years ago worked at an ISP and got fired for snooping in people's accounts and email. It isn't as uncommon as you might think. :frown:

But then, who writes down passwords and then leaves them out for anyone to see? I use a secure password keeping program and the only password I need is the one to open the program storing all 763+/- of my various unique and randomly generated "gibberish" passwords & logins. :hide:

My typical passwords look something like this:

m4Q&F|96$jcE3#y7^Uv8vt%!

Most are a randomly generated series of letters, numbers and symbols, although some are shorter due to site limitations. Even a "brute force" attempt to crack them would take years with this type of password! I have probably gone beyond what you may have expected for an answer, but I wanted to let you know just how many different chances there are for interception of your emails. Never send anything (unencrypted) by email that you wouldn't want your employer, mother or pastor to see! :grin:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.