Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My problem is with my Emachines M5310 laptop. It seems that a few of the keys are malfunctioning about 3/4 of the time. The problem keys are both the right and left shift buttons, the 'I' button and the "K" button. About 3/4 of the time I can not get a capital case K or I on the screen, but lowercase k and i do work. When that happens, sometimes the left shift button will paste whatever is on the clipboard and the right shift button will put either a ',' or a '>' on the screen. 1/4 of the time the keyboard works as it should. I have run Spyware Doctor, Spybot, Hijack this, Chkdsk, and AVG Antivirus. I have started prying off the caps to the keys and cleaning them out but sofar it hasn't worked. I am thinking that the keyboard hardware itself is malfunctioning and I don't think its replaceable. A HiJack this report is attached.

Does anyone have an idea to help remedy this situation, or know of a good place to take this bugger to repair it?

Thanks All!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
This may be a LONG shot, but I have seen similiar problems with machines that have all the memory used up and very little hard drive space. The virtual memory and process trip up and cause strange things.

The other suggestion is to connect an external keyboard and see what happens, if you have no problems with an external keyboard, I would assume you will need to replace the laptop keyboard.

JamesO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like you may have a bad keyboard. I've heard of similar issues, and could very well be that the board that controls the keyboard functions is shorting out somewhere and misinterpreting those keystrokes. The keyboard can be replaced by Emachine or a licensed Emachine repair facility. Typically a keyboard replacement runs about $200-225 from what I've seen (I used to work at Best Buy in the tech department and that was the average cost for a new keyboard across all laptop brands).

Another possibility (it's less likely to be the case, but worth checking), is the RAM. If you have a bad RAM chip, it "might" cause that issue. Long shot, but worth checking first before spending $200+ on a new keyboard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.