Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, When Task Manger is started, it flashes on the screen for about 2 seconds, then it disappears and a small icon appears in the tasks running bar. When I move the mouse over the tasks running icon, it disappears. I have searched for information on this problem everywhere and have found none. All help is appreciated. :4-dontkno

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Sounds viral to me. What virus scanner are you running, when did you last update the definitions, and when did you last run a thorough scan of your system? Try the following:

On-line Virus Scanners
Scan your pc with 2 of these free online scanners:
Panda ActiveScan
RAV AntiVirus
Housecall (Be sure to put a check the box beside AutoClean)

Let us know if anything gets picked up.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I agree with ReeKorl, when you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by Viruses. These three are important system utilities which the viruses target.

Wouldn't hurt to run Ewido Security Suite

· Install Ewido.
· During the installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
· Launch ewido.
· It will prompt you to update click the OK button and it will go to the main screen.
· On the left side of the main screen click update.
· Click on Start and let it update.
· DO NOT run a scan yet.

Restart your computer into Safe Mode now.
(Start tapping the F8 key at Startup, before the Windows logo screen).
Perform the following steps in Safe Mode:

* Run Ewido:
Click on scanner
Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK.

·
TSF Security Team, Emeritus
26,363 Posts
You seem to be infected with malware.

Please download & save to Desktop - UnHookExec.inf
Right-click the UnHookExec.inf file and click install. (This is a small file. It does not display any notice or boxes when you run it.)

After you have done that, check to see if Task Manager is still that elusive. :grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.