Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oddest thing just started happening.

I have 3 limited users running on my XP SP3 box. These users are members of the Users group only.

All of a sudden, all of the users are now like administrators with full access to everything including the other limited users' private directories. Looking at the "Effective Permissions" on any of these supposedly hidden directories gives ALL of the permissions. The users can even write to the "\Program Files" and "\WINDOWS" directories; obviously a catastrophic state if security is at all important.

I have no idea what to do about this. Can this be a virus? Is there something in some hidden group policy or other tweak that will restore these users back to being unable to access other directories?

These users can also see and write to all areas of the registry too.

I am worried that this is the result of some sort of bug in a Microsoft update, since how else but the O/S allowing this access at the NT level could this occur?

Any advice most gratefully accepted.

TIA.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi,

The only way i can think of going about it is going into the computer management console/local users and groups/groups and making sure in the admin and power user groups that none of the limited users have been added. If thats ok then its probably a good idea to scan your computer and find out if there is a virus or spyware present.

Hope this helps.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

System Restore is not an option... I turned it off - my bad...

"secedit /analyze" on the broken system shows thousands of mismatches. The troubling thing is that running the same secedit command on a working system shows the same pattern of mismatches.

I guess I can try the secedit /configure option first and then if that doesn't work, a repair installation with new users. I am not at the broken system right now so I can't try another suggestion to see if "net localgroup administrators" shows these users in that group where "computer management"->users/groups would not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.