Tech Support banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I get rid of EDGE? I use Chrome when I need to and don't like edge ata ll but it keeps popping up and is a PAIN. HELP please

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,732 Posts
It depends which Edge. If its the new Chromium Edge you probably can't because it is part of the OS but the older original Blue Edge can just be deleted now.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,463 Posts
Features that Microsoft implements into Windows that are dependent on Chromium will use Microsoft Edge. So if removed, these features would not work. As of now there are no immediate impacts to other applications but, it may result in problems when Microsoft rolls out more features. Removal can also cause some problems with the default browser options and/or Microsoft links if they are set to open with Microsoft Edge only.

Given Windows 10's reliance on Edge, it may be safer to simply switch to a new browser instead of uninstalling it completely.
  1. Open the Start Menu
  2. Click Settings and go to Apps > Default apps.
  3. Scroll down and click “Web browser.”
  4. Select the browser you want to use, which you’ll obviously need to have first installed in order to make the switch.
  5. You can also unpin Edge from your taskbar by right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting “Unpin from taskbar.”
This will hide Edge most of the time, but Windows will still occasionally suggest using the browser, and some apps will open links in Edge even after changing the default program.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so it looks like EDGE is being stuffed down our throats and we really have no choice in the matter? UGH !!!

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,463 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what does that mean then? i'm sorry but I'm not well versed in the mechanics of computerisms

·
441 Posts
Essentially all Edge is is a tweaked up version of Chrome for MIcrosoft services. The Previous Edge was still using some IE code. IE and now the previous Edge are basically history on the new WIndows 10 iterations. Although, WIndows update still uses an IE hook partialy but that's soon to go as well.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,296 Posts
As I see it, if you really want to escape fully from Edge, then as things stand at the moment your only real option is to use a different OS to Windows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts