Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Dimensio 5150, and running XP, SP2. I am trying to uninstall ebates (moe money maker) but cannot since ebates purposely prevents its software from being removed via Windows' Control Panel CHANGE/DELETE program button. I've written ebates and they sent a program that was supposed to uninstall ebates but did not.

I purchased Adware which claims it would remove ebates but did not.

I understand there are manual ways of removing ebates but they are dangerous and I do not want a worse problem than I have now.

There are several other programs for purchase out there but I do not want to repeat the time and expense of buying another Adware that did not work.

Question: Has anyone actually removed ebates using a purchased or free software program and, if so, could you give me its name. Thanks, Daniel

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,343 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF.
I haven't tried to remove Ebates but here are a couple of things you could try. First, you can try the Windows Installer CleanUp utility, available from here. When you've downloaded and installed it, go to C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up and run the file msicuu.exe. Look in the box to see if Ebates is listed and if so select it and press the Remove button. Second, you can try Easy Uninstaller available from here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JP, I tried both of the programs you mentioned but neither worked because neither program showed Ebates in the list of possible programs to remove. It's really strange that the Windows Control Panel Change/Delete function shows Ebates but you cannot remove it. When you click on "remove' the following message pops up: "An error occurred while trying to remove Ebates Moe Money Maker. It may already have been uninstalled." At the same time that happens, I get a message from my Spyware Blocker saying: "Malicious action blocked. Spyware Doctor has blocked an application rundll32.exe attempting to access a file. Path: C:\PROGRAM FILES\EBATES_MOEMONEY_MAKER\EBATESMMMV.EXE Threat Adware.ebates Risk level Elevated" So, while Windows shows the program, it can't remove it. The 2 programs you suggested might be able to remove it but they can't seem to find it ie it's not in their list to remove. I don't know if anyone else here has had any experience with Ebates but, if you haven't, consider yourself lucky and don't go near it. If you google it or go to the AdAware software sight, it will tell you all about how bad/aggressive ebates is and how difficult it is to remove. I thought ebates was an upstanding company but it's clear they are unconscionable lowlife. We should all get the word out on this horrible company and its program; no one else should have to put up with it. So, JP, any other thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.