Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right forum, but...

I NEED to backup my ENTIRE hard-drive (photos, music files, software, everything...).

What is the easiest, most efficient and "cheapest" way to do this?

I do NOT have a DVD writer. I need to back up around 35 GB. So...CD's are out of the question.

Exactly what do I need? I would imagine a "zip drive" would be the best way to go. How many discs would I need to back up 35GB worth of stuff.

Once I get a zip drive (and disc(s), I assume) and hook it up...do I need to install a backup software program? Does XP have a built in way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

You would need loads of Zip disks to do this and it would cost you an arm and a leg at least to buy those disks for this much material. What I do is maybe different than most do, but here it is:

I use Norton Ghost (you can pick up an older version and they are the best on Ebay for less than ten bucks including shipping) and have a spare hard drive on my computer that I just Ghost over from the main boot drive....it is an exact copy of my main drive. If things go South on me, then I can just Ghost it from the backup over to the main drive again, or can also just change the ribbon cables and boot from the Ghost drive as if it was the main drive......because it is an exact copy. That is what I do and it is an effective way among many ways that you can do this. Others will have other suggestions, so listen to them and pick your poison of which you want to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Tumbleweed36, you should just get another harddrive to backup your data. A harddrive is much cheaper comparing to all the zip disks that you have to buy, not to mention the transferring speed would be faster.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay...

Where do I go to buy an additional hard drive?
How do I install it?
Since my current drive is C drive, my CD drive is D and my DVD is E.
Would my new hard drive be "E"?

Once I install my new hard drive...how do I transfer my C drive to the new hard drive...and after all my files have copied/transferred over...can I take out the hard-drive and store it someplace in a fire proof box etc...?

Thanks for your help. Sorry for all the questions...I'm a moron.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
WhoDoYouThink said:
Okay...

Where do I go to buy an additional hard drive?
How do I install it?
Since my current drive is C drive, my CD drive is D and my DVD is E.
Would my new hard drive be "E"?

Once I install my new hard drive...how do I transfer my C drive to the new hard drive...and after all my files have copied/transferred over...can I take out the hard-drive and store it someplace in a fire proof box etc...?

Thanks for your help. Sorry for all the questions...I'm a moron.
Hi,

There is nothing wrong with asking good questions, so don't be so hard on yourself, we all have to learn.

First of all, there are many places that you can buy yourself another hard drive. I usually buy from either Newegg.com or ZipZoomFly.com for online purchases and if you watch, Staples and/or Bestbuy at your local store has many good deals on hard drives. I think this past week (I didn't need any so I just saw it in passing), I saw a 120gb 7200rpm drive at one of those stores (check the sales flyers) for around 50 bucks....what a deal. Also, you can find various new drives at Ebay.com, but be careful on the shipping price. If you have a staples or bestbuy close, that would be your best bet.

When you get the drive, someone here (one of us whomever is around at the time and is a tech) will walk you through intalling it and how to do that.

Windows will assign the new letter for your drive and I would guess if you were to hook it up as a slave, that it would be drive "D" and that would move your other drive to a higher letter. You can also assign a specific letter to any drive in your system, except the boot drive.

First of all, you have to obtain a copy of NOrton Ghost. Then you just tell it to ghost one drive to the other and away it goes.

You can certainly take the drive out and store it someplace, but I just don't do that. I don't use that drive, but just leave it in my computer in case I need it. It won't cause any problem being there and you can continue to ghost to it when you add changes or new programs to your computer. That way it is always up-to-date.

Hope this helps. There are other ways to copy drives and maybe someone else will chime in and tell their favorite way to do that before you get the job done. Then you can choose what is the most comfortable for you. This is the way I do it and I am not saying it is the best for you, but it is a way that works.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
You can also use a USB external Drive which will cost a bit more but does not have to be installed inside the Computer.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi Kodi,

That is a good idea that you had.

If my memory serves me correctly (CRS), there is like a 120 gig external hard drive on sale now with either Bestbuy or Staples. I don't use those, but it was a great price for the drive with the rebate. Don't hold me to it, but take a look at this weeks flyers. That would be a good option if they would want to put it in a safe place away from the computer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.