Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assembled a mini-ITX PC on Zotac GF9300 motherboard.
Got everything to work, installed OS and stuff, but system always freezes dead when CPU temperature according to monitoring data reaches 50 C. It then doesn't return back to operation, poweroff is required.
On my previous motherboard it never happened.

At first I blamed GPU because it always froze in 3D games a few seconds after the game started. But stress-tests showed that even when GPU is cold, loading CPU causes the system's paralysis.

I got as much as I could from Zotac's tech support (here's the thread), but they couldn't help me.

I've got all latest BIOS updates (and it sometimes freezes even before "hit Del to enter setup" appears, if I don't let it cool down)
I've tried different RAM and different RAM amounts

AFAIK, the CPU's critical temperature is above 70C, what could be wrong :4-dontkno

Please help.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
What monitoring program are you using? If not the bios, then check those temps in there because those are normally the most accurate. Please, also list your complete specs including the video card and the make and wattage of your power supply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The program is realtemp,
in bios after reboot after freezing they are the same +- 1 degree

Video card is integrated GeForce 9300

Product Name:
ZOTAC GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi

GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce 9300 mGPU

Core Clock speed:
450 MHz

Stream processors

Shader Clock
1200 MHz

Display Options:
DVI (w/audio), HDMI (w/Audio) and VGA

Processor support
Intel Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme, Celeron, Pentium – Socket LGA775

Front-side bus
1333 MHz

Memory support
DDR2-667/800

Memory capacity
2 DIMMs, up to 8GB

Expansion
1 PCI Express 2.0 x16

SATA
2 SATA 3.0 Gbps (RAID 0, 1),
1 e.SATA (3.0Gbps)

PATA
NA

Ethernet
10/100/1000Mbps

Firewire
NA

USB 2.0
6 on back panel, 6 via pin header

Audio
Onboard 5.1-channel high-definition audio

DirectX support
DirectX 10 with Shader Model 4.0

Other hardware features
HybridSLI compatible, OpenGL 2.1 compatible, NVIDIA PhysX ready, NVIDIA CUDA ready, PureVideo HD technology
the MB chipset is nVidia MCP7A

RAM is 2x2GB Corsair XMS2-6400 (DDR2) (tried inserting them by 1 bar, also tried 2x1 GB Kingston 1033, which worked perfectly in my old another system)

CPU is Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz

HDD SATA 320 GB
Slim-SATA DVD-RW via SATA connector (tried disconnecting this one)

nothing is overclocked

PSU is the one that came with my case Jou Jye nu05281i. Its FSP220-60PLA, 220W. Its specs from the site:
Output Max. Load
+5Vsb 2A
-12V 0.8A
+12V1 12A
+5V 12A
-5V 0.2A
+3.3V 17A
I have latest nVidia chipset and video drivers, before that tried older version of the drivers, removed old drivers using Driver Sweeper.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
You need a new quality and more powerfull psu the one you have now is way to small, check the psu sticky atop the forum for recomendations but I would consider a corsair 650W for your system

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
That PSU is not sufficient for any Dual Core CPU's.
Are you certain you have all 4 legs of the CPU heatsink securely fastened into the Mobo?
One leg not secured can cause instant overheating of the CPU.
Most itx cases will not accept an ATX PSU and I'm not aware of any quality brand itx PSU's that are powerful enough for your hardware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, at one moment i removed cpu heatsink and changed thermal compound and ensured CPU is tightly close to the heatsink.

And 50 degrees Celcium is too low to be critical

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPD: not 0.2 but 0.6 for CPU load freezes
Also increased voltage of NB by 1 V, now some games last longer (like 10 seconds) and some simpler one do not freeze at all

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Your PSU is simply not good enough to power your setup. Best solution is a case and a quality PSU with sufficient power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This PSU is kinda designed for Core Duo, they sell it as a part of power bundle at mini-itx.com

I added voltage and all seems to work now. I hope nothing will burn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.