Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cores are idling around 45C and full load with prime95 and also using realtemp it gets up to about 75C. This is scaring me. Im using the stock heatsink. What should I do? I'm probably going to try putting the thermal paste on again later after removing the old stuff and see what happens. Any help is appreciated.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
The cores are idling around 45C and full load with prime95 and also using realtemp it gets up to about 75C. This is scaring me. Im using the stock heatsink. What should I do? I'm probably going to try putting the thermal paste on again later after removing the old stuff and see what happens. Any help is appreciated.
Are you overclocking? If so, stock heat sink fan is no bueno.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Check the tempps in the Bios for an accurate reading.
Be CERTAIN all 4 legs of the HSF are securely attached to the Mobo.
Ideally, the HSF should be attached to the while the Mobo is OUT of the case. They should make a very sharp snap when they are fully seated. The stock Intel HSF is a good cooler and will even stand some OC'ing if the case is well ventilated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well my plan for tonight was taking off the heatsink again and reapplying the thermal paste. I forgot to plug the fan back in as well, luckily the temperatures only got to the 30s before I shut it off.. :rolleyes:

Temperatures seem to be a lot better. At first the idle cpu temp itself was around 30ish, now it stays around 34 and 35. The cores have been 38-43. Load temp is now around 55 for the CPU and 58-63 for the cores. I ran prime 95 for a few minutes. Before I did this, it would shoot up to the 60s and 70s right away, luckily this doesn't happen anymore. Its still probably considered a high temp but at least its a lot better than it was.

I think the higher temps were from me not applying the thermal paste properly. This time I made a line down the center over where the cores are. :smile: Hopefully the temps get even cooler after the break in period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.