Tech Support Forum banner

Dual Core or Quad Core? (both above 3.6ghz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my e8400 doing 4.5ghz at 1.45v, its really nice, but i know i want a quad core, loading in games will be faster and i hate loading, and theres no real performance loss is there? what would be the most reasonable quad to get versus the e8400, im planning on overclocking it alot, my e8400 hasnt been over 59c load overclocked so cooling is certainly not a problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it wont reach the same speeds, but 4.5ghz is overkill already, i can settle for 3.8 or around there with a quad core. but the q9650 costs alot more than my e8400, more than double actually.. and i was thinking trading it in for another

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The Dual Core is a better CPU for gaming. There are no Games that can make use of the Quad Core.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I agree that the dual core is better for gaming. In other applications, it is a toss up for what type of application you are running. There is no "big" difference either way in most applications.

I just don't think the cost/benefit ratio is nearly worth what you are going to have to pay for the difference. That is my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.