Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I like to keep my anonymity on certain websites by tunnelling all my web traffic through a remote server. Originally I'd do this by using the -D switch with Putty to set up a dymaic SOCKS proxy between me and the remote server. This was handy because it didn't require anything but an sshd on the remote server and I could comfortably route all my Internet traffic through it, securely (between me and the server at least). All I used to do was:

Code:
putty -D 8080 <remote server ip>
hit enter, log in and then just change Firefox on my machine to use the SOCKS proxy "127.0.0.1:8080". All my net traffic would then be sent over the tunnel.

Problem is recently I've recently tried using this method and had no luck. I can connect to the remote server with the tunnel up, but when I change my Firefox setting and try to browse I just get a totally white page for every site I try. I've tried this by tunnelling through a few different servers and had the exact same result. Strangely enough, I can still proxy IRC traffic over the tunnel so I that it appears as though I'm connected to the IRC server from the remote server I'm tunnelling too, which is what I'd like to happen with web browsing but unfortunately isn't.

I've tried with IE, and it says there is a problem with your Internet connection or something. Why is it that I can no longer tunnel HTTP traffic but I can tunnel IRC, and most likely other things?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.