Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so my saga of problems has come down to this question; does DVI draw more power than VGA?!?

Because my new X1650 is as follows;

VGA on any monitor any res: perfect desktop, video, games at high res

DVI on 17" : perfect desktop (1024), seems fine for video, crashes loading a high res game

DVI on 22" widescreen: desktop flicks to black every 10 or so seconds (1680), video's grainy, games even worse!

Which leads me to think perhaps it's the power supply - but that only makes sense if DVI uses significantly more power than VGA does...

:4-dontkno

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I would think that DVI uses slightly less juice as there's no need for digital to analog conversion. What kind of PSU are you using?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
300W Antec

But it doesn't make sense that it's the PSU if it works perfectly with analogue does it?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
You need more power. Regardless of connections, not having enough power CAN cause some really strange issues with any computer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha ok fair enuff, so if for instance i put an Antec 500W Basiq supply in - it's 20+4 pin where as my old m/board is only 20... Could I snap or cut the extra 4 on the 20+4 off so that it'll fit as theres a capacitor in the way of where the extra 4 would be...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.