Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
I recently experienced a problem with the DVD drive on my laptop (XP). It was working fine in the morning, but when I tried to play the same DVD in the evening, the drive made some noises, blinked its light a few times and just wouldn't recognise that a DVD had been inserted. Windows Media Player 10 just says No Disc in Drive. I tried random DVDs and the same problem for each one. When I tried CDs they worked just fine (I know that these combo drives have 2 lens - one for CDs and one for DVDs). I left the problem alone for a while.

I moved to a new home after a couple of weeks, and the drive started working again and I had no problems with any DVDs...until I visited my parents at my old home and tried a DVD...the same problem again. No Disc in Drive according to WMP 10.

So I bought a DVD lens cleaner after reading that other people have experienced similar problems. This had no effect at all.

I then uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it after booting up. No effect.

So I contacted my laptop provider's helpdesk by email as I'm still well within the warranty period.

Whats really freaky is that when I went back to my new place the next day, it started working again! Surely it can't be the location?! The only difference between the 2 locations is that my old place (where my parents live) has a wireless network set up, which my laptop just automatically connects to when I start it up. But I never had a problem with the drive before when I was living there.

I thought I'd throw this one out there to you as I'd like to know if theres a logical reason for this bizarre problem.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Malmo
Welcome :smile: That is a strange problem. I don't have great advice for you, but maybe a few suggestions. Try fooling around to see if you can pinpoint the cause. Try disconnecting from your parents wireless network to see if that allows you to watch a dvd. It would be too weird if there was a conflict between a wireless network software/hardware and wmp10. Try some other dvd-playing software.

It is hard to say whether replacing the drive under warrant would be of benefit or not.

Or, don't watch dvds on your laptop at your parents house :grin:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.