Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was upgrading my Pc, new v-card, DVD-RW, memory and system was working sort of OK together but rebooting whenever it felt like it so I opted for a new M/B (Gigabyte) and CPU (pentium 4 640).

Went together so easy it was scary and everything was good (very fast & stable); CD games worked great until I tried to play the DVD (uses PowerDVD ver. 6 that came with Nero DVD). All hardware worked together on old M/B but with this, screen is soooooo slooooow, no DVD, it just hangs up. Says,"No disc in drive" but when drive is prompted, drive and title are listed. I have never tried to use WMP to play DVD's and would like to for a "test" but how do I switch defaults to try this? I sorta expect the same results, though. M/B has 915 chipset, could this possibly require an updated driver? BTW, was using XP pro on both systems.

Anyone got a handle on what the potential causes might be and what's the approaching on dealing with this problem?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Go to control panel > add/remove programs, on the left you'll see "Set Program Access and Defaults". Who makes DVD-ROM?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Did you use the same hard drive with the same xp pro, on the new motherboard without using sysprep?
Check your device manager for any alert symbols.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
malonn - Thanks for responding. It's a Lite-On dual layer DVD drive with Lightscribe. I was able to default to WinMedia and got the same result. The drive plays music CD's, mp3's, reads data and will load games... just no DVD or video of any kind (wav, mpg, wmv, etc.). I'm begining to think I'm missing something in the MB; a driver or utility?

speedster123 - Thanks for responding. All hardware is the same as used on the old MB. same version of XP pro... The one thing I did do was reformat the HD (IDE) after a complete data backup and added a sata drive since the new board is so equipt. One difference is that I formatted the HD's in NTFS instead of FAT32. I don't see how that would affect it though. I've been over the BIOS numerous time to see if something was missed. Device Mgr says all systems "working". Can you explain 'sysprep'? I have never worked with a "new" MB before so am I missing something? I thought sysprep was for multiple computer setups.

I plan on using the PC isolated it in my studio, no internet connection. So I'm running to and from my wife's MAC loading drivers and typing responses.

Everyone, Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dai - Thanks for responding. I don't remember the power supply brand (Ultra ???) but it was upgraded with all of the other items from a 250 watt to 500 watts. Basically, the only original pieces left over from the old pc are the IDE-HDD, the floppy and the pc case!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try upgrading your firmware from the LiteOn website and see if that helps any. If you haven't done so already, that is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I haven't found a solution yet and I still have a thing or 2 to try on the advice given by this site which is great because it means I still have options.

Given that it's the Christmas season and the wife's "Good Will" only goes so far, I'm taking a short break to help out with the shopping for the kids before the wife inflicks her version of "I'll FIX it for ya!".

I promise to return shortly as, I'm sure you know, it keeps my mental wheels turning into the wee hours. I certainly appreciate all the technical advice I've received. You folks are Great! See you soon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, Ladies and Gents... I'm back. Let me bring you up to date since we last wrote... I have had a chance to do some things, check things out and after reformatting and reloading the software (4 or 5 times) I've learned that loading sequence is CRUCIAL in trouble shooting. I was successful in reloading everything (to a point) and keeping the DVD Playback working until... Enter: the nVidia 7600 GS 512Mb! DVD crapped out again! Okay, a quick check on the board's FAQ's, someone asks: "Why can't I play DVD's when I install your board?" Ah-Haa!! Answer: "You need new/upgraded Encoders/Decoders for your new board. Go to... (several sights), etc.". OK!

I happened to choose WinDVD 8 (they offer a trial copy) so let's see what happens... I find out the trial copy won't load, said they'll e-mail me the instructions/code but I get nothing, I get a load error when it tries to install web software (but I'm NOT CONNECTED to the web!). Could this be what it's looking for?? InterVideo doesn't offer "support" for trial users! Checking reviews, pubs say WinDVD8 and PowerDVD7 are market "BEST's". Some user feed back is about 50-50 good/bad... some say great, some say won't load, garbage,ripoff! So where does that leave me?

I WANT to try it but I'm being nickel and dimes to death trying to get this DVD issue resolved. I don't mind puting out the $50 bucks for something that works but I'm NOT gonna throw it away. Anybody successful on getting money back for software that didn't work? Anybody have any thoughts????

As always, your help is Greatly Appreciated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.