Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Samsung S183L SATA DVD-Writer. I used it to install vista and to boot CD's like Image for DOS, as well as read/write all formats.

Recently, Vista had bootup problems and I tried to use the Vista DVD to get at a startup repair. I tried everything:

- Obtained a replacement Vista DVD from MS.
- Tried every known bootable cd in my collection.
- Set boot priority to CD, then HD.
- Used BIOS boot menu for direct booting to the Samsung.
- Disabled HD and floppy in BIOS so that Samsung was the only bootable device.

No go. The bootup would show the DVD light winking and I could hear the spinup, but it would then cycle to Vista. If using direct boot or the disabled HD setup, it would show not a system disk, etc.

Device continues to autoplay, read and write in all other respects.

Any ideas other than hardware failure - before I replace it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes - it reads and writes both CD's and DVD's. For example, it will autoplay my Vista DVD from within Vista. I just came back from a local shop where they tested it on another machine - it booted up a Vista install DVD. So, it is not the Samsung, but my computer or BIOS. I'm using Asus BIOS 603. My PS seems to handle all the hardware I have, so I'm mystified.

What I want to do is install the Windows Vista Recovery Environment, and to be able to do a Startup Repair, etc. which I believe require a boot of the DVD. I like living in a non-IDE environment with all-Sata devices, and this is one of the few Sata DVD-ROMS around - 4 months old.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DAI. Those answers applied to someone wanting to boot with a SATA CD-ROM drive into a DOS environment. I'm trying to boot a Vista install DVD to get to their startup repair etc.

I can't figure out whether it is hardware, firmware or something else on my system, since the Samsung will boot a cd or dvd on another machine. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Resolved - duh!

I thought it might be a timing problem, and resolved it by changing the BIOS boot sequence from CDROM-Removable-Hard Drive to Removable-CDROM-Hard Drive. This seems to have allowed my bootable CD's and DVD's more time to spinup (while the floppy seek was going on) so all is well.

Having succeeded, I now realize the Vista installation DVD does not offer an option for installing a Windows Recovery Environment, just running it from the DVD itself. Is there a way of getting this on an HD as a bootup option as in WinXP??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.