Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My DVD-RW drive has been temperamental for some time. I used to find I could read CDs and DVDs with no problems but when it came to writing to them, I had to make several attempts, restart the computer several times, etc. However, now the drive no longer even appears in the list in Windows Explorer. I went into device manager and it is there, but set as disabled. When I tried to re-enable it, I got an error message saying that Windows was not able to enable the device. Anyone any ideas? Could it be a driver problem?

I am running WinXP SP1. The drive is listed in Device Manager as "Atapi DVD Dual 4xMax".

Thanks.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Satallyne said:
My DVD-RW drive has been temperamental for some time. I used to find I could read CDs and DVDs with no problems but when it came to writing to them, I had to make several attempts, restart the computer several times, etc. However, now the drive no longer even appears in the list in Windows Explorer. I went into device manager and it is there, but set as disabled. When I tried to re-enable it, I got an error message saying that Windows was not able to enable the device. Anyone any ideas? Could it be a driver problem?

I am running WinXP SP1. The drive is listed in Device Manager as "Atapi DVD Dual 4xMax".

Thanks.
2 ideas 1. install sp2 2.if it did come with any software install it or reinstall it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get any software with it (at least I don't remember getting any). However, I decided to uninstall the driver in the hope that XP would reinstall it for me on startup. This worked, phew.

I know I should really install SP2 but am a bit wary as I heard that a lot of people have had problems with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.